New neon tetra dead

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Louis Graham

Reaction score
Helpppp! New fish dead!

I bought 6 neon tertras yesterday and added them to my 60l tank that had 6 guppies already in and had been running for 2 months in total and 1 month with the guppies in.
Put them in yesterday and everything seemed fine, swimming in a school, exploring,

I’ve come home this evening and one was floating upside down dead at the top!!

I checked the little fella over and there was no obvious signs of an illness - from what i can see

I checked the water and no spike in ammonia or nitrite, chlorine level 0 and all other fish seem fine and are swimming about.

I’ve just done a 30/40 water change just in case it was that but what could of caused this? What should I do next?

Let's hope this was not a problem (disease) and just perhaps injury from being netted. I've had this a couple times over the years. If the remaining five show any signs of trouble, just as rapid respiration, hanging at the surface, it might be something else.

The water change was a very good idea; it is amazing how beneficial something as simple as this can often be.

Maybe shock- I turn off the tank lights and darken the room before putting my new neon tetras into the tank. I give them a couple hours then turn on the room light and latter the tank lights or as byron said it could be from netting them.

Most of the fish I've had die, have died the same day that I put them in the tank. Sometimes they are already lethargic in the plastic bag, sometimes not until they hit the water. I too turn off the lights, let the bag acclimate for 15 minutes to the water temperature then every 5-10 minutes add about 1/2 cup of tank water to the bag. When the bag is full, I do the same thing again. This is all to prevent the shock of being hit with water of an entirely different type.

Most of my fish I've bought online which means they've been shipped overnight with stickers all over the box warning which side is up, and that it's live animals - I have no idea if the shippers pay attention to all that.

I just believe that no matter how careful you are that certain fish are just more subject to shock and stress than others. Other than one fish with swim bladder disorder I've never had aa sick fish - so I do think it's just shock. Do what you can but realize you can only do so much to avoid it.

The poor little things go through a lot. I think it's stressful on smaller fish to be netted and moved especially if they've just arrived from the wholesaler. The Neon Tetras you usually see in store tanks are so very small. They are not much more than large juveniles. Sadly, if you want to have a dozen you have to buy about fifteen to allow for unavoidable losses.

Most of the fish I've had die, have died the same day that I put them in the tank. Sometimes they are already lethargic in the plastic bag, sometimes not until they hit the water. I too turn off the lights, let the bag acclimate for 15 minutes to the water temperature then every 5-10 minutes add about 1/2 cup of tank water to the bag. When the bag is full, I do the same thing again. This is all to prevent the shock of being hit with water of an entirely different type.

Most of my fish I've bought online which means they've been shipped overnight with stickers all over the box warning which side is up, and that it's live animals - I have no idea if the shippers pay attention to all that.

I just believe that no matter how careful you are that certain fish are just more subject to shock and stress than others. Other than one fish with swim bladder disorder I've never had aa sick fish - so I do think it's just shock. Do what you can but realize you can only do so much to avoid it.
@Jan Cavalieri , I used to work for UPS Air Cargo. I saw fish and reptile boxes come through every day. They receive NO special treatment. The massive volume of online shipping today is overwhelming the shippers. It's just go, go, go as fast as they can to keep up or get buried. If your fish or reptile arrives alive and not in too much shock be happy. I'm pretty sure most don't make it.

I have many fish shipped and all have been fine with the exception of one where the bag leaked and no water left. Fed Ex ran over my daughter’s dog Saturday in their own driveway (they live in the country and have a long driveway). Driver actually said, “I’m just trying to get these packages delivered.” Not even an apology. They have one goal in mind.

I just had 8 shrimp arrive with 3 of them dead. That was the first time I ordered live animals on line. All my plants I ordered did just fine.

Last edited:
I have many fish shipped and all have been fine with the exception of one where the bag leaked and no water left. Fed Ex ran over my daughter’s dog Saturday in their own driveway (they live in the country and have a long driveway). Driver actually said, “I’m just trying to get these packages delivered.” Not even an apology. They have one goal in mind.
Wow, they're either a horrible person or VERY very stressed.Or both. How is the dog?

Delivery drivers are under pressure that you would never believe. I know that UPS has a computer in the delivery vehicle that tracks everything the driver says and does. GPS tracks their route and stop times. At the end of their day a bean counter scolds and harasses them vehemently with great gusto. These poor slobs are just trying to hold onto a job and keep the wolf away from the door. Rumor has it that UPS is going to seven day a week delivery just because of the massive onslaught of Amazon. I am so glad to be retired. Madame' @Deanasue , sorry about the poor dog. Blame corporate greed. And people, please shop locally.

Delivery drivers are under pressure that you would never believe. I know that UPS has a computer in the delivery vehicle that tracks everything the driver says and does. GPS tracks their route and stop times. At the end of their day a bean counter scolds and harasses them vehemently with great gusto. These poor slobs are just trying to hold onto a job and keep the wolf away from the door. Rumor has it that UPS is going to seven day a week delivery just because of the massive onslaught of Amazon. I am so glad to be retired. Madame' @Deanasue , sorry about the poor dog. Blame corporate greed. And people, please shop locally.
US Post office is now delivering packages on Sunday too. I just got a package last Sunday from Amazon.

Welcome to the new world. A world of cutthroat business and never ending drudgery. 24 hours a day 7 days a week is the physical limit but big business is going to crack the whip as hard as possible. Three shifts a day every day. You will all now make your tally of bricks without straw ! Bwaahahaha !

Wow, they're either a horrible person or VERY very stressed.Or both. How is the dog?
It was a little chihuahua. She died immediately, which was a blessing. He ran over her twice. Front and back wheels. My daughter saw the whole thing. She was yelling at him to stop but he kept going.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, poor thing. So upsetting for your daughter. How could someone not apologise?!? :no:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back