New Nano Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Robbo85

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So i have decided to take the jump into marine and set up a 15l nano tank.

I decided to go with the TMC 15 as it suited my budget, size and read some good write ups and blogs.

Its been running for two weeks now and has been filled with live sand,  live rock and RO water. all perameters are settled now after a few readings every other day, PH at 8.2 and nirite ,nitrate and amonia now at 0 (amonia briefly went up to 0.25 but went back down on the next reading).temp and salinity in the green zone on the hydromedia so i will be getting some clean up crew maybe tomorrow.

here are some pictures, comments critisims and compliments are all welcome especially the latter.

nano13001.jpg

nano13002.jpg

nano13004.jpg

nano13006.jpg

This tank will house a CUC and some soft corals that once my larger tank is up and running will be transferred too when a little bigger.

I'm going to get some shrimp and snails today hopefully and start some corals in a few weeks time. Only problem is my LFS only has big coral pieces at the moment. I need to find somewhere selling small frags that I can grow. I need to find somewhere in the Ipswich region that sells small pieces of soft corals.

Shrimp are more fragile than the average CUC snail, so it's better to leave it several weeks before adding shrimp (similar to the first hardy corals) and add any snails and/or hermit crabs first. 

Hi all, i have decided to add just two turbo snails to my tank and will cycle for a few more days before adding a piair of peppermint snails from my LFS. i can only seem to find one of them though,

DSCF3965.jpg

he's sitting proud on top of my live rock but i cant find his buddy.

So i've gone and got a pair of peppermint shrimp who have been powering round me tank eating things from all the nooks and holes in the live rock.

DSCF3970.jpg
DSCF3976.jpg
DSCF3980.jpg
DSCF3972.jpg
DSCF3969.jpg

Very cool! I like that!

My GF want that exact same sort of thing, live rock and shrimps (sexy shrimps as it happens or cleaner shrimps!) and maybe a snail or two.

How difficult is a set up like that to do?
I have no experience whatsoever with marine and am reluctant to start with such a small tank but space is at a premium in our flat!

Tips and recommendations would be great!

Ch4rlie said:
Very cool! I like that!

My GF want that exact same sort of thing, live rock and shrimps (sexy shrimps as it happens or cleaner shrimps!) and maybe a snail or two.

How difficult is a set up like that to do?
I have no experience whatsoever with marine and am reluctant to start with such a small tank but space is at a premium in our flat!

Tips and recommendations would be great!

Those where pretty much my thoughts and limitations for starting with a nano. but with most things if you take your time and put in effort then its worth it.

(this forum helps a lot too)

The TMC 15l nano is an all in one unit and cost less than £100, the only mods i made was to add a tunz powerhead to increase flow and swapped out on of the media sponges supplied with some activated carbon and filter floss.

Lovely looking wee tank, very nice indeed!

Keep the pics coming!

I tried a small tank like this but I really struggled to keep the temp constant. The weather in south africa in summer can be brutal even indoors. Now it stays empty in my garage :(

Regards,
Duncan

Had a bit of a nightmare last week, I got some zoa frags and tried to attach them with some aquarium putty that was apparently reef safe. The water went cloudy immediately and despite clearing some of it with a small water change and the skimmer on high, 20 minutes later my shrimps both died.

As a result I have had to have a rescape so I can place corals on top of rock rather than attach to the side that I wanted to do.

Photo update coming tomorrow

Looking good, great little plug & play tanks, I had one but swapped it for the 30 litre which gives slightly more options
Only downside is it's acrylic so you have to be very careful when cleaning it

Lillefishy said:
Looking good, great little plug & play tanks, I had one but swapped it for the 30 litre which gives slightly more options
Only downside is it's acrylic so you have to be very careful when cleaning it
Yeah I have a little scratch from moving some rocks but to clean I use a medium bristle toothbrush clean the acrylic.

Hi, some more photos of the tanks process

new zoas but hard to see here
DSCF3987.jpg

new blue led bar

DSCF3994.jpg
DSCF3991.jpg

DSCF3992.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back