New Nano...'isle Of Anubis'

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JenCliBee

PleC & CorY MaD
Reaction score
Hi all, collected a new tank today which came with 'alot' of plants mainly anubias (Thanks Loops :)) , all in excellent condition and thought i might add a couple to a small nano i had and see what the outcome would be.

Tank:
Little unbranded 13l (12x8x8)

Lighting:
11w arcpod

Filtration + heating:
Currently a fluval internal, awaiting a HOB filter. No heater.

Substrate:
Currently sand but will be changed i think, not to sure yet, didn't have anything else to hand.

Hardscape:
Dragon stone and twigs of unknown wood

Plants:
Various anubias attach to the wood, thinking about a fissidens carpet or maybe xmas or weeping moss?

Ferts:
Dosing regime as from 18/10/2011

Mon, Wed, Fri..... 2ml macro
Tue, Thu, Sat..... 2ml trace
Sun..... 50% water change and 2ml of macro.

Easy carbo..... 0.5ml daily

Inhabitants:
Hmmm.... will be a shrimp tank but unsure yet, probably cherry and blue tigers. (Now could be adding some ember tetra's :))

It's very much a work in progress, not fully happy with it but after setting up a bigger tank earlier and now been shattered, this was really just thrown together in half hour... so please be gentle lol.

Couple of pics after i finally got the wood to stand in a position that is at least half decent and attached the plants.....

9ed58f35.jpg

f22354c3.jpg

6f9b01e6.jpg

6623c0fe.jpg

Thanks for looking

Comments and suggestions welcome :)

Looks like a desert oasis, nice mate, i'd stick with the island and forget the carpet, I do love am island scape tho :)

I like the island feel to it. Will look good with some Shrimp in there :good:

Looks like a desert oasis, nice mate, i'd stick with the island and forget the carpet, I do love am island scape tho :)

Cheers mate, i did consider leaving the carpet out and still may do dependant on how the anubia grow, the carpet was for the shrimplets more than anything but i'll have to see once this has hopefully filled out a bit :).

I like the island feel to it. Will look good with some Shrimp in there :good:

Thanks, the island look was a new thing, the original plan for this tank was a typical iwagumi and the other tank being a jungle island type scape.... funny how things changed once you get started on something lol.

really like this! do you have any more sand? was thing you could make it higher in the middle so it looks like a proper island with the rocks and wood raised abit, that wouldd look great! but really nice scape here!

Aaron.

nice little scape there Jake, looks like one of those ADA submerged Wabi's. :good:

really like this! do you have any more sand? was thing you could make it higher in the middle so it looks like a proper island with the rocks and wood raised abit, that wouldd look great! but really nice scape here!

Aaron.

Thanks for the comments mate, i did think about the sand option but tbh the sand starts to disperse after a while and the rocks will just slide out of place and i would be constantly rescaping which really isn't what i want to do. I guess i could get a sturdier substrate for the island and then add the sand surrounding... that may be an option i could try... will have to look into it.

nice little scape there Jake, looks like one of those ADA submerged Wabi's. :good:

Cheers mate, let's just see if i can keep it alive and growing like an ADA Wabi lol :)

Sort of update......

Added a little more sand today and as i was doing so i knocked the whole lot over.... it may have been a good thing though.... if i managed to knock it over so easily then once the plants had grown in mass they probably would collapsed under the weight..so...... it gave me a chance to rescape it a little with a bit more time and effort taken lol.

Unfortunately i noticed after i had filled it that the plant at the front (larger one, barteri i think) will probably impede the rest as it grows and look out of place... so this will probably mean i have to remove and get it back looking as it does now (all fun i guess lol

I also added a white background just to try it, what do people think?... im very undecided.

Anyways a couple of pics....

0b1dd0ce.jpg

22ea30a2.jpg

8bc9d006.jpg

91953303.jpg

b49ad262.jpg

4058ab82.jpg

I think the scape looks much better now.

Looking good Jake :good:

Thai Micro Crab? Possibility!

James.

Looking good Jake :good:

Thai Micro Crab? Possibility!

James.

Cheers mate.... definite no to the micro crabs, they remind of spiders and that just ain't gonna happen lol.

Haha, fair enough. Not a big fan of spiders myself! (HATE THEM SO MUCH IN TRUTH)

They would make an interesting little adition for a nano, not many on the forum keep them, I can't think of anyone!

James.

looks good with a background mate, i reckon a Betta would look ace in there. Something a little different.

Haha, fair enough. Not a big fan of spiders myself! (HATE THEM SO MUCH IN TRUTH)

They would make an interesting little adition for a nano, not many on the forum keep them, I can't think of anyone!

James

One more to add to the non keepers group unfortunately... im like you... hate spiders with a passion. I also doubt the misses would want them either lol.

looks good with a background mate, i reckon a Betta would look ace in there. Something a little different.

Really?, still very undecided about the background... looks ok i guess lol.... i may try blue next time.

Not really a betta keeper tbh, i really dont think the tank is big enough either.... but then again i know nothing about them. I think i prefer the shrimp only idea more... will have to see.

What do people think of some micro raspboras?.... do you think the tank could be big enough?... if so any suggestion... i do like ember tetra's aswell.

I love this. Looks great. :good:

Cheers mate, hopefully it will grow nicely and keep it's island feel without to many problems. still undecided on a moss carpet?.... thinking more against at the moment... guess we will have to see.

yeah embers are great, i kept some in my nano iwagumi, they school really well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back