New Members to the family!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Boundava

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So on the 17th Sis and I went to the Tinley Park NARBC, we wanted to go Saturday-but I had to work. We had been talking for a little bit about getting some snakes or frogs in the future, possibly going back in the spring after looking at some different options (just at pets, btw). We were looking at some corn or milk snakes, I was entertaining the idea of a small boa.

Have to say the place was gigantic, there were so many reptiles; heavy on (lots of varieties of) geckos and boas. Even though it was Sunday it was still very packed and there was a lot of stock still available for sale. Sis fell in love right off the bat with the Mexican Black Kingsnake. She was lucky to find a cute little male at a great price. I was strongly considering a milk snake, but was a little intimidated by their speed and tendency to musk as babies. TBH I don't have any snake handling experience whereas my sister does as most of her friends have snakes, geckos, frogs and tarantulas. I was also entertaining the Kenyan sand boas but knew it may be hard to find in my price range. Well I was right on one part, it was hard to find-there were 6 or 8 that I saw in a sea of reptiles, insects and products. However I did find one I fell in love with, supposedly a girl and I could not believe the price! After I bought her and went through the rest of the show I saw one other person selling them, but they were three times the price and not at all as pretty as my girl. We have them in some small enclosures right now, but have purchased their forever homes. We also have some larger temporary homes that we need to set up for them once Sis comes back to town. They both had their first meal and will be good till possibly this weekend or the middle of next week.

So without further ado, say hello to Venom and Candy Corn.

Since Venom is my Sis's and I don't want to handle him I just snapped a pic in his baby home. He is currently all black with two white spots under his chin-like Venom's eyes, lol.
IMG_20211025_120551097.jpg

I feel better handling my little boa, plus she is supposed to be a little less active than Venom, so here is Candy Corn (she is trying to burrow into my shirt):
IMG_20211025_120834022_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211025_121050340.jpg

Love her colorations. The others I saw were more tan in color and their marking were not as bold. Anyone not familiar with boas (like I wasn't) may not know that they give birth to live young, no eggs with them!

Last edited:
She’s very pretty 😍 How long is she..? And, how long will she get..?
Thank you! Right now she is a bit over 7". Females get bigger than males at a max of 36", I am hoping she is closer to the min of 26", lol.

I have an enclosure that will be similar to a 20 long footprint that I am going to add excavator sand background complete with many tunnels and hides built in, along with some built in plants as well. The remainder of the enclosure will be filled with the Bio Dude's Saharan substrate and will have some isopods and springtails as cleanup crew. I will have a UTH heater as well as a daytime basking bulb and a grow light for the plants. Hate to say that I went all out with the plants already and have a lot of aloe and Haworthia, which are actually Kenyan succulents. I saw a neat display at the show that I thought would work but the Exo Terra Stone dessert substrate needs to be wet to hold its shape, and Kenyan sand boas don't like that much humidity.

I love both snakes, really nice.

Beautiful orange and black colourations, lucky find!

I love both snakes, really nice.

Beautiful orange and black colourations, lucky find!
Thank you, the photos don't do her justice! I love my Sister's as well, but I guess I am a bit biassed, lol.

Thank you, the photos don't do her justice! I love my Sister's as well, but I guess I am a bit biassed, lol.
I know what you mean by saying photos don't do justice, I find myself saying the exact same when i see photos of some of my tank stocking!

Am absolutely certain they are even more striking in colouration in reality rather than in photos.

Still stunning pics nonetheless.

Wish I could have snakes, I have a particular soft spot for corn snakes but my other half draws the line absolutley at snakes, she does not like snakes like at all whatsoever! :sad:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back