April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

YARCOPAT

Reaction score
Hi all Iā€™m new this aquarium stuff so any info would be much appreciated Iā€™m currently after some info on vampire crabs and if they are ok to put in my community tank the fish I have in there are Columbiaā€™s tetras
Common pelcos about 12 inchs
Tiger barbs
Silver tip tetras
gouramis
Any info would be much appreciated

Attachments

• B0912102-A402-423F-ABE7-30576B93C7FA.jpeg
    B0912102-A402-423F-ABE7-30576B93C7FA.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 21
Hi all Iā€™m new this aquarium stuff so any info would be much appreciated Iā€™m currently after some info on vampire crabs and if they are ok to put in my community tank the fish I have in there are Columbiaā€™s tetras
Common pelcos about 12 inchs
Tiger barbs
Silver tip tetras
gouramis
Any info would be much appreciated
Hello and welcome to the forum. Firstly what is the tank size. I would avoid the vampire crabs as they would nip at the pleco and gouramis. They also require a land section of the tank.

Hi thanks for reply my tank is 450 l with 75 l sump tank I donā€™t want the crabs then if they are going to nip at other fish I want something different in there that u donā€™t see to often so y I thought about crabs and ideas
Thanks pat

Hi thanks for reply my tank is 450 l with 75 l sump tank I donā€™t want the crabs then if they are going to nip at other fish I want something different in there that u donā€™t see to often so y I thought about crabs and ideas
Thanks pat
5E50F580-F6F8-442B-A2D2-86765F9F714D.jpeg

Thanks pat
If you want something unique then you could go for sword tails. Their not too rare but the males look quite cool and different. If your concerned about nipping then are you sure your barbs aren't nipping your gourami.

If you want something unique then you could go for sword tails. Their not too rare but the males look quite cool and different. If your concerned about nipping then are you sure your barbs aren't nipping your gourami.
Hi I have swordtails in there at the moment and to be fair I havenā€™t noticed the barbs fin nipping when I was at the shop near me the fella in there said they should be fine so I took his word for it but like I said I have never noticed it

Hi I have swordtails in there at the moment and to be fair I havenā€™t noticed the barbs fin nipping when I was at the shop near me the fella in there said they should be fine so I took his word for it but like I said I have never noticed it
If you have swordtails then another fish could be albino cherry barbs. A bit rare but very unique colours. Should be compatible with current stocking. I am quite surprised the tiger barbs have not nipped the fish, they're notorious for nipping.

As Coryking said, vampire crabs need land to climb out on as well well as water. And creatures with claws do not mix well with fish.

Tiger barbs are one of the nippiest fish in the hobby. It is usually recommended to keep them on their own because of this, and if they are mixed with other fish to have at least 15 of them in the hope they'll keep the nipping within their group.

I was at the shop near me the fella in there said they should be fine so I took his word for it
Never, ever believe anything a shop worker says. The majority of them are trained in how to make a sale not in how to care for fish. Even the small independent shops give poor advice.

If you have swordtails then another fish could be albino cherry barbs. A bit rare but very unique colours. Should be compatible with current stocking. I am quite surprised the tiger barbs have not nipped the fish, they're notorious for nipping.
I will make sure I now keep a proper eye on them now just in case but not noticed it yet

Hi and welcome to TFF... :hi:
I wouldn't keep those vampire crabs if you also can't offer them some land. For they do need land and water.

Been keeping vampire crabs last couple years they only go into water when threatened or molting. Pauldarium a must. If you want successful breeding give a lot of hiding space. Chollo wood and dragon stone work great. Moss lots of moss. They eat their own, found ramshorn snail a great live food source.vampire crabs are fast on land but super slow in water.

Attachments

• 16809147900208936685088191206151.jpg
    16809147900208936685088191206151.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 16809149805257087696402934226786.jpg
    16809149805257087696402934226786.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 11
First picture is a 10 gallon I started long while back, pulled 16 juveniles out of it to start my new 20 long pauldarium. Sprinkle flake food on land for small baby ones and little crab bites for the mature crabs. Hiding space is key. Ramshorn breed fast highly recommend as a food source if big ones get hungry.

Most reactions

Back