new member - new fish suggestions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NicoleSparkle

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We got a 65L tank about a year ago and have recently bought a new 320L tank.
I moved the fish i had in the smaller tank with the addition of more tetras to school and a baby plecostomus.
Most of the plants are new additions also so they will grow over time.

A list of what I have in the 320L is -
18 Neon tetras
3 Priscilla tetras
1 Crawdad
1 Plecostomus
1 Corydora
2 Angel fish

As you will see from the photo the tank looks empty majority of the time, so any suggestions would be great.
The 65L is empty at the moment, and wanting to maybe get 1 or 2 larger fish that would be happy alone in there... but if you think we should shuffle some fish around thats no issue.

Open to ideas and collective knowledge :)
fish tank.jpg

I would say keep the angelfish in the 65, it is a little small for them but if kept long term with the neons they will eat then when fully grown. Depending on the type of crawdads it is likely to eat the small fish in the future also
Up your shoal of cories to 5-8 they really need to be in a group.
Get some more Priscilla tetras for a group of 8.

Noted, will definitely get a bunch more corys.

What would you think about the option of maybe moving the tetras in to the smaller tank with a bunch of greenery?

Would it be ok to put discus in to the larger tank then?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

---------------------
You should move the crawdad (freshwater crayfish) back into the small tank so it doesn't eat any of the fish you have. All crayfish are nocturnal and will eat fish and plants.

You need a picture on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure. You can buy aquarium backings online or at pet shops, or use coloured card or plastic (bin liner) and tape them to the outside on the back.

You need some floating plants to make the fish feel more secure. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is a good floating plant that can also be planted in the substrate.

You need some driftwood for the Plecostomus to help with its digestion. You should also have the lights on for 10-12 hours a day to encourage algae to grow on the glass for the Pleco to eat.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

---------------------
You should move the crawdad (freshwater crayfish) back into the small tank so it doesn't eat any of the fish you have. All crayfish are nocturnal and will eat fish and plants.

You need a picture on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure. You can buy aquarium backings online or at pet shops, or use coloured card or plastic (bin liner) and tape them to the outside on the back.

You need some floating plants to make the fish feel more secure. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is a good floating plant that can also be planted in the substrate.

You need some driftwood for the Plecostomus to help with its digestion. You should also have the lights on for 10-12 hours a day to encourage algae to grow on the glass for the Pleco to eat.
Thanks, I’ll look in to the water info next time I go to the pet shop. And get some floating plants.

I’ve just ordered some driftwood that will arrive in a couple of days. I just got the Pleco today and no one at the shop told me that so i appreciate the info.

Measurements of the big tank are 152cmx47cmx51cm

Measurements of the small tank are
60cmx30cmx30cm

sorry if this sounds dumb but if the angels and the crawfish will eat the tetras wouldn’t it be a better idea to move the tetras?

Big angelfish will sometimes eat small narrow fish like neon tetras. However, it depends on if the angels have been grown up with small fish or if they have never seen a small fish before. If the angels are small and grow up with the small tetras, they are usually fine. If you had adult angelfish and put a group of small narrow fish into their tank, the angels would probably eat them.

---------------------
If the Pleco is a common Plecostomus, it can easily reach 12 inches in length and many attain a length of 18+ inches. Eventually the Pleco will probably need a bigger home. They are also quite messy and produce a lot of waste, so make sure you gravel clean the substrate and do a big (75%) water change every week. Alternatively, return the Pleco and get a common Bristlenose catfish, they only grow to 4-5 inches and don't produce as much waste due to being smaller. They still produce a lot for their size, but it will be less than a big Plecos.

You could even get a pair (male and female) common Bristlenose catfish and they might even breed for you. The babies can always be sold or traded in at most pet shops.

The Bristlenose catfish and all suckermouth catfish need driftwood too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back