New member intro, hello!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

StellaS

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I am new to keeping tropical fish. I remember my parents having both tropical and marine aquariums when I was a child and I spent more time in front of them than the TV.

I decided to start with a 60L Biorb. I realise now that may not have been the best choice but I will make the best of it. Over the past few weeks I have set it up with both silk plants and real java ferns. Yesterday I added 5 red platies. In a few more weeks I will add some ghost shrimp and perhaps a pair of dwarf gourami. I will see how that goes! I am conscious I should not over stock. I look forward to being part of thi

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

May we see pictures of your tank? :fish:

Welcome :hi: not sure of your tank dimensions but the Platies needs a 60cm x 30cm x 30cm or 24" x 12" x 12" tank. I was in fish shop today and shocked at much my adult Platies have grown!
Edit to clarify

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200919_193623.jpg
    MVIMG_20200919_193623.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Welcome, be nice to see a pic of your bio orb tank, I used to have one of these years ago! :fish:

:hi:

Welcome to the forum :) Bio orbs can be quite tricky because of the shape and the oxygen transfer that is possible with the surface area you have at the top.

If I remember correctly the 60 means 60 liters which gives you 15 US Gallons to work with. I would actually suggest that you stick with the platies and the ghost shrimp (or Cherry Shrimp if you want some more colour - Amano Shrimp are good too as they help tidy up a bit ;) ). You could technically stock more fish in this volume of water but because of the shape doing a bit less might not be a bad idea.

Just incase you change your mind on the tank check out the Fluval Flex - similar size tank but square and from what I have seen/heard they are a great little tank.

Wills

A platy has already given birth. I thought a couple of them were a bit fat! A couple of the fry were eaten but there are others hiding so maybe a couple will survive.

Welcome to the forum :) Bio orbs can be quite tricky because of the shape and the oxygen transfer that is possible with the surface area you have at the top.

If I remember correctly the 60 means 60 liters which gives you 15 US Gallons to work with. I would actually suggest that you stick with the platies and the ghost shrimp (or Cherry Shrimp if you want some more colour - Amano Shrimp are good too as they help tidy up a bit ;) ). You could technically stock more fish in this volume of water but because of the shape doing a bit less might not be a bad idea.

Just incase you change your mind on the tank check out the Fluval Flex - similar size tank but square and from what I have seen/heard they are a great little tank.

Wills
Thanks Wills, that sounds like a good idea. I will see how I get on with this one but I may need another if the platies keep breeding!

Welcome :hi: not sure of your tank dimensions but the Platies needs a 60cm x 30cm x 30cm or 24" x 12" x 12" tank. I was in fish shop today and shocked at much my adult Platies have grown!
Edit to clarify
It’s difficult to say as it’s not rectangular but round. I guess it’s about 18”x18”x 18”. I am going to keep a low number of fish, following good advice.

It’s difficult to say as it’s not rectangular but round. I guess it’s about 18”x18”x 18”. I am going to keep a low number of fish, following good advice.
I keep finding fry in my tank :rofl: but they are very cute with their giant eyes :wub: tank looks lovely and lots of hiding spaces for the fry - they'll love it!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back