New member, First time fresh water tank setup!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Welcome to TFF.

I have some background on this thread, having just read and posted in the other you started today. I am afraid the 5.5 gallon tank is not sufficient space for the platies nor the pleco. I know they seem OK now, but that is not the reality. A 20g tank (24 by 12 inches/60 by 30cm base dimensions) is absolute minimum for platies. And if these are impregnated which seems likely if they were in with males in the store, you will have more fry than you can possibly manage without a room of tanks. Some will likely get eaten, though this varies. Stores may say they will take them, but chances are they won't because the fish will be so numerous they cannot sell them.

Something we have all learned the hard way...never rely on advice from staff in any fish store unless you know they are trained hobbyists. Most are not. Always research a fish before acquiring it. The fish will be the loser, and I know you don't want to be mistreating them.

We are here to help, and there are many informed members that are eager to see your fish thrive and see you enjoy the hobby.

Welcome to TFF.

I have some background on this thread, having just read and posted in the other you started today. I am afraid the 5.5 gallon tank is not sufficient space for the platies nor the pleco. I know they seem OK now, but that is not the reality. A 20g tank (24 by 12 inches/60 by 30cm base dimensions) is absolute minimum for platies. And if these are impregnated which seems likely if they were in with males in the store, you will have more fry than you can possibly manage without a room of tanks. Some will likely get eaten, though this varies. Stores may say they will take them, but chances are they won't because the fish will be so numerous they cannot sell them.

Something we have all learned the hard way...never rely on advice from staff in any fish store unless you know they are trained hobbyists. Most are not. Always research a fish before acquiring it. The fish will be the loser, and I know you don't want to be mistreating them.

We are here to help, and there are many informed members that are eager to see your fish thrive and see you enjoy the hobby.
I appreciate your feedback Byron, I'm going to keep them for now. They seem happy, and I don't actually know if the platies are gonna give birth or if they are just fat and sassy. When the time comes I will do what is required for the well being of the fish, because that's what it's all about anyway right?

Yes, @emeraldking made an interesting post on this a while back, its crazy.
Here's the link to this issue:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back