New member, first 60l tank stocking ideas?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

So doing more research and heading to my local store, i think ive decided on what id like in my tank. It just really depends on whether itd be overstocking it or how ma y of each i could safely keep.
After all your great advice, about my long tank, finding my water is of the softer type, and my pH also on the lower end, ive looke at fish that would be happier in these conditions, aswell as in a well planeted environment. Ive decied for peaceful fish. please let me know what you think of this list, and if the stocking levels are way off. I definitely wont be offended haha.

8-10 Neon/ember or cardinal tetra
10-15 Chilli rasbora
5 Dwarf otto/Panda cory
And 2 centre piece fish: honey gourami/blue rams

So doing more research and heading to my local store, i think ive decided on what id like in my tank. It just really depends on whether itd be overstocking it or how ma y of each i could safely keep.
After all your great advice, about my long tank, finding my water is of the softer type, and my pH also on the lower end, ive looke at fish that would be happier in these conditions, aswell as in a well planeted environment. Ive decied for peaceful fish. please let me know what you think of this list, and if the stocking levels are way off. I definitely wont be offended haha.

8-10 Neon/ember or cardinal tetra
10-15 Chilli rasbora
5 Dwarf otto/Panda cory
And 2 centre piece fish: honey gourami/blue rams
Are you thinking of all these in a 15 gallon? Or just one of the group's and then the 2 "centerpiece" fish?

I would go for one shoal of tetras (neons, or cardinals or ember) or a shoal of chili rasboras. Then a shoal of 10+ pygmy cories rather than pandas. I would be concerned that 60 litres won't grow enough algae for a shoal of otos. And the gouramis as centrepiece fish. Rams need a higher temperature than everything except perhaps cardinal tetras.

I would go for one shoal of tetras (neons, or cardinals or ember) or a shoal of chili rasboras. Then a shoal of 10+ pygmy cories rather than pandas. I would be concerned that 60 litres won't grow enough algae for a shoal of otos. And the gouramis as centrepiece fish. Rams need a higher temperature than everything except perhaps cardinal tetras.

Awesome! In terms of shoal size, depending on which i go for for the tetra/rasbora, were my numbers generally ok or would i get away with more?

And also, since they dont really add much to biomass, could i get away with 5 shrimp as extra cleanup crew or would you just stick with just having more of the pygmy cories instead

Are you thinking of all these in a 15 gallon? Or just one of the group's and then the 2 "centerpiece" fish?

One group really, id rather a larger shoal of happier fish than small groups that arent

Also, I forget who but somebody mentioned Harlequin Rasboras which get very bright in my opinion. It seems I have seen them both in a small and a large variety? Or perhaps I have just seen very young ones and then grown up ones?
And then I've seen something called a Lambchop Rasbora, at the fish store and it has stayed small for quite a while. Quite beautiful

Just a thought because of my own experience with neon tetras.

Maybe someone can clarify since I'm not certain about the Rasboras.

In 60 litres, I go with 15 of one of the small species. Or a smaller group of one of the larger species.

Yes, harlequins would be OK, as would lambchop rasboras (Trigonostigma espei) - I have some. They do appreciate cover over their heads though so floating plants are a must. The other species under consideration would also appreciate cover.

You could have a shoal of tetras/rasboras and pygmy cories and shrimps.

One month on!
Tank fully stocked now - don't think there's room for anything else anyway! (Correct me if I'm wrong!) I went with 5 amano shrimp, 6 peppered cories. 10 harlequin rasbora a and single female koi Betta, who is the most chilled one in the tank haha! Not phased or bothered by any of her tankmates and always comes up to the glass when I come into the room or near the tank. Swims near by me when I'm changing water or trimming plants too. Rasboras shoaling nicely too and since adding the background to the tank they're colours just pop!

Parameters have been sitting fine at 0, 0 and nitrates of about 3/4. Continuing to do 50% weekly water changes. Dosing with flourish half dosage Evey few days. No problem hair algea anymore since updating the lighting system and dialing back on the fert. plants doing really nicely!
Had abit of my floating sag wither but that was due to being battered about by the filter. Solved that problem now n it seems to be recovering nicely.

Was super buzzed to win totm too, as a novice n new to the hobby it gave me alot of confidence I was doing things right, and thank you all for your help with setting up too. Yous took alot of worry and doubt out of things!

Original
IMG_20200217_142112.jpg

One month on
IMG_20200318_143316.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back