New Male Betta... Got Ich...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Saedcantas

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hiya all,

Well after I got my female betta Kalseru I was hooked, so when I spied this beautiful red boy at work I couldnt help myself :blush:

*apologies for the truly awful pic*
unnamed2small.jpg

He's been bubblenesting since I got him home, I have him in an unfiltered 5uk gal big glass bowl. It is unheated as he's in the room with my reps which is a good constant warm temp ;) He's got some cabomba and a water hyacinth.

Problem is he's developed a lovely sprinkling of whitespot :X
So being a betta novice really, I'm slightly scared of putting treatments in with him, already dosed up on salt of course, normally I would get the Protozin out (UK people might be best to help on this one) but in a small bowl I'm very cautious of doing this until I am sure it is ok or if there is a much more suitable treatment I ought to use?

Thanks in advance for all your help, didnt post in emergencies as he is for all intents and purposes still a happy chap, feeding, swimming, nesting and flaring :)
Lotte***

I think he would do fine with waterlife protozin, its hard to measure for that small amount you could mix some thoroughly in water for say fifty litres and give less than half, your tank is about 22 litres. I have used in with a betta in the tank before and he was fine. The waterlife product is the best one I have come across. The usual if you have a heater then heat to about 28C, big water change, wash the plants etc. he is a lovely looking fellow, I cant see any whitespot in the pic, but I take it you are sure he has it. Hope he gets rid of the yucky parasite soon.

Heh, the pic is the day after he came home :fun:

I have always had greatest success treating Ich with Protozin, my issue is that there is no filter and a really small volume. Just worried incase there's some innate betta lover knowledge that I havent learnt yet!

I'm experienced with a large variety of other fish so I definitely know Ich when I see it :D I'm just happy to admit that in the field of Betta keeping I'm a total noob B)

I never use any chemicals to treat ich. Its not necessary and I only use chemicals when absolutely necessary. Salt and slowly raising the temp to 84 degrees for 2 weeks is all that's necessary.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back