New Malawis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

becs66

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have just got a second hand malawi setup that came complete with fish and I'm a little unsure of what some of the species are! I was told that the tank contained the following: Melanchromis auratus, Pseudotropheus zebra blue, Iodotropheus sprengerae, Sciaenochromis ahli, Cyontiliapia Afra.

I just wanted to check that these species are correct as I wish to swap some fish and keep others dependant on their aggressiveness.

First, is this indeed Melanchromis auratus:

Attachments

• Fish02.jpg
    Fish02.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 38
And finally this is the one that seems most unlike any pictures I can find on the net, is this really Cyontiliapia Afra as I was advised???

Attachments

• Fish03.jpg
    Fish03.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 46
And if anyone in the area would like to adopt any of these fine fishes or a large RTBS or lonely clown loach then they're yours for the taking as I have far to many in this tank at the moment!!

The first pic is the auratus

The second pic looks like a female ahli to me

In the third pic, the fish that is hiding under the rock looks like it's the zebra, but could be the afra, would have to see more of it to be sure.

I'm sure someone else will be along to help with the id's.

The 'Afra' looks like a Melanochromis of some sort - Melanopterus perhaps, or a lightly coloured Auratus. It the picure pretty accurate?

The other seems very pale. I don't recognise it.

Did any of them come from a 'mixed african' tank at the store?

Yeah the picture is accurate, there's a few of them and they do seem to be distinct from the auratus, in behaviour aswell as colouration. All the fish came along with the second hand setup that's why I don't really know whats what as the vendor wouldn't just give me the tank!! I believe she bred all the fish herself.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back