New Malawi Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Colin

Reaction score
Although I have kept tropical fish for many years now, I have never had a Malawi Tank. I have just set up a 440 gal tank for this purpose and filled it with crushed coral and stones. I have put a strong external filter on the talk and plan to start with around 6-8 malawi, building as the set up hopefully becomes stable.
Has anyone had a simular experience? I am intersted to know how long the coral (and I have put loads in), normally takes to alter the ph of the water..Am I talking a day or so, or a couple of weeks? Also any other pitfalls or helpful tips would be appreciated.........Luckily, I am also keeping my other community tank, so this new project won't have to interfere with that set up.

Thanks for any comments..

Regards

Colin

I found this on mod queue in the Fish Index - moved to OWC.

A lot of this depends on what your water parameters are in the first place. The more acid the water, the harder it is for the crushed coral to take affect, the longer it will take it to work, and the less effect it well have. Also, is the CC in the filter or as a substrate?

Thanks for your reply. The CC is as a substrate, I assume that this will help to speed up the effect(rather than in the filter). Itching to get going, but know that if I take my time, I am more likely to get better results!

Most reactions

Back