New Interest, Old Tank.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Weimy

Reaction score
Hi all, first proper post. :kana:

I've returned to fishkeeping after quite a long sabbatical. I say 'returned' but I have kept 2 small tanks running during that time.

I'm hoping soon to set up an aquarium for planted discus.

I have a bit of a dilemma though. I have an old Aqua Medic tank which must be 15 or 16 years old now. It was previously a reef but has been stored dry for the last 8 years or so. It's been stored in our shed, so has been exposed to the highs of summer and the lows of winter. It would make an excellent tank for discus.

I am a little uneasy though, the tank is old and has been stored dry, as mentioned. A quick headscratch says it holds about 90 UK gallons, which is a lot to have spill onto the living room floor. These things usually happen at night and always, near the bottom of the tank.

I'm reluctant to reuse the tank, it's tempting but really off putting too. I will more than likely buy new, to be as safe as possible.

I'm just wondering though, what are the thoughts on tank longevity, especially after storage?

TIA. :)

Welcome to the forum.
I'd be worried the seals on the tank are no longer viable, after being stored outdoors...

on the DIY end of things, I do hear that it is possible to reseal a tank, but I decided against it myself for a used 125gal I bought (I resold it and kept the stand), since I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to sleep through the night after resealing it myself. That being said, if you do it correctly, it's likely to be better than mass-produced kit tank quality, where the idea is to get the most tanks off the production line in the least amount of time.

I'd say it's worth at least looking into, there are some great youtube videos out there, and I think if you look up how the seal actually works you should be able to figure out the technique to do it right. Just depends on how much of a "project" you want this to be vs how much disposable income you have to throw at this.

that all being said, I'll link @WhistlingBadger here, since he recently just built a tank with his bare hands (maybe he wore gloves, it was glass after all, I have no idea), and he might be able to give you some pointers if you go the "resealing" route.

Welcome to the forum.
I'd be worried the seals on the tank are no longer viable, after being stored outdoors...
Thank you. Those are my thoughts too.

This sounds like an absolutely perfect excuse to do some fishy shopping.
Absolutely. ?

on the DIY end of things, I do hear that it is possible to reseal a tank, but I decided against it myself for a used 125gal I bought (I resold it and kept the stand), since I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to sleep through the night after resealing it myself. That being said, if you do it correctly, it's likely to be better than mass-produced kit tank quality, where the idea is to get the most tanks off the production line in the least amount of time.

I'd say it's worth at least looking into, there are some great youtube videos out there, and I think if you look up how the seal actually works you should be able to figure out the technique to do it right. Just depends on how much of a "project" you want this to be vs how much disposable income you have to throw at this.

that all being said, I'll link @WhistlingBadger here, since he recently just built a tank with his bare hands (maybe he wore gloves, it was glass after all, I have no idea), and he might be able to give you some pointers if you go the "resealing" route.

I did consider re sealing it but I'm like you, I don't think I'd sleep too well.

It's worth me looking into though.

I did wear gloves; that silicone glue smells nasty curing on your fingers! My tank is still holding water, more by good luck than by any skill on my part. @Weimy There are a lot of youtube videos and such on how to reseal. Having done both, I can tell you that resealing is a LOT less scary than building one from scratch, since there is already (presumably) enough glue in the joints to preserve structural integrity; you're just caulking the seams to plug any leaks. For peace of mind, fill it up in a safe location (garage, shed?) for several days. If it survives that, you're probably good long-term.

Unless I'm wrong and it ruins your floor. Then I'll deny that I know you.

I did wear gloves; that silicone glue smells nasty curing on your fingers! My tank is still holding water, more by good luck than by any skill on my part. @Weimy There are a lot of youtube videos and such on how to reseal. Having done both, I can tell you that resealing is a LOT less scary than building one from scratch, since there is already (presumably) enough glue in the joints to preserve structural integrity; you're just caulking the seams to plug any leaks. For peace of mind, fill it up in a safe location (garage, shed?) for several days. If it survives that, you're probably good long-term.

Unless I'm wrong and it ruins your floor. Then I'll deny that I know you.
Thanks.

I hadn't considered leaving the old silicone in place, I was thinking of stripping it all down and replacing it. That makes sense though and I will have a look later at some YouTube vids. Got me thinking now.:good:

I think I've decided on this and for the sake of peace of mind at 3 am in the mornings, I'm going to go for a new tank.

Looks like it will be the Aquavogue 245. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Back