New In San Diego, Ca

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Shahbazin

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I've just joined because we've had a 10 gallon tank for 2 years, & we just bought a 75 gallon (which I have some questions about cycling it). The fish are general family pets, especially for our kids. I've been looking around on this forum recently, as while we had fish when I was a kid, there's a lot of info about fish keeping that we were completely oblivious to - I hope that our present fish will be healthier & happier. 

Our 10 gallon has live plants, a betta, 3 cory cats, & 7 little "wild type" looking guppies. Here's a pic of our Betta: 

We have 5 goldfish in a 100 gal. stock tank in the backyard, & plan to move them into the 75 gal. tank. One was given to one of my daughters for her birthday by one of her friends, 3 were purchased as companions for the original fish, & one was given to us by the friend's sister, who didn't want it any more. We'd like to see the fish better, & currently have their home covered with chicken wire to keep out a blue heron who was hanging around. Also, I think a tank would be much easier to clean than their current accommodations.

Oh! What a lovely lookin' betta you got there. Do you have a name for the little guy?

Thanks! He has either 2 names or a compound name, as each daughter wanted her input - "Cloudy Fishkiss". I claim ownership of one cory cat - Pearl, the albino & the 2 spotteds are Plum (the darker one) & Nibbles. No one can tell the guppies apart.

Super looking Betta. I visited San Diego a few years back. Beautiful city. Welcome to the forum

Shahbazin said:
We have 5 goldfish in a 100 gal. stock tank in the backyard, & plan to move them into the 75 gal. tank.
welcomeani.gif
 to the forums!

What type of goldfish do you have? I am assuming they are one of the popular fancy types like fantails, ryukin, oranda or moors? These fancy types normally max out in size between 8 and 10 inches, so 5 in a 75 gallon would be fine. The only thing you will need to consider is providing as much filtration as possible, as well as frequent maintenance (water changes) and being sure not to overfeed since they are very messy fish.

On the other hand if they are the pond variety of goldfish, commonly sold under the names Comet or Subunkin, then take into account that these normally grow rather large. Some can grow as large as 14", so in that case I would personally not recommend anything less than 150 gallons.

---
I just ran across your other post, and you either have the pond type goldfish or koi, it is hard to tell from the photos that were posted, so let's try this from a different angle:
  1. What is the length of the largest fish right now?
  2. Are the dorsal fins (top fin) attached or detached at the rear?
  3. Are the lower jaws rounded up to the mouth, or flattened to the mouth?
  4. Are there any whiskers (barbels) on the mouth (no matter how tiny they may be)?
Ran across this to help:
goldfish-koi+comparison.jpg

If these turn out to be Koi, I would not even attempt putting them in a 75 gallon.  It may be possible to grow them out for a short time in a 75 gallon, but some koi can grow up to 3 or more feet long.

They're definitely goldfish. I'm not sure if the speckled one is some sort of fancy type, though - it's hard to tell from the top, & she was in a sort of grubby cup when the neighbor kid brought her over, so I didn't see her too well then either, except she wasn't sick looking. The water lily leaves are 1 1/2 inches in length, & almost that in width right now - I could measure those, but the fish swim too fast! But comparing leaf size with the fish in the photos I took today, I'd estimate the 2 largest to be at 4 1/2 inches, including tail. This is Clownie (the larger white one, but she was orange as a baby) in September of 2013, a month after she was given to us, nose to nose with a female guppy.

OK, my panic attack is over then 
innocent.gif
  At least on the Koi aspect.

You have what some refer to as "pond variety" or "common" goldfish.  They can grow up to 12 to 14 inches and should be kept in 180 gallons or larger aquariums or ponds.

I know that, long term, we may have to rehome them to a pond someday, but I'm hoping we can enjoy them for a few years yet if they're in a fairly large tank.

I am going to steal Byron's wording here:

It may be small now, but this should be done now, before the limitations of the tank begin affecting the fish's development which is continual.

Basically, you should always keep fish in an aquarium that is large enough for their adult sizes. Keeping them in smaller tanks will affect their overall growth and health.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back