New high octane Oscar

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RowdyBub50

Reaction score
So,

From my last post to now. I had started fish in cycle with Danio's. I was quickly convinced to go fishless. Returned the Danios, got Dr Tim's ammonia, Seachem Prime and Stability and was off!!
Got my tank cycled, YAY.
Got my new Oscar in the mail, fretted like a new dad waiting for it.
Its been ~24hrs now and I'm a little concerned.
He's about 1.5 inches.
He looks fine, no marks, dmg, etc, colors good.
Fins are up.
He went from black headed to grayish/greenish and hid when I did a small water change so he is already proving to be a baby (he's back to black (red oscar).
He's eating when I offer (Sinking Cichlid Gold minis) one a time until he stops coming up for them.

Problem is he glass surfs quite a bit.
Started the first 15 min after putting him in.
He's not rubbing, sometimes its slow side to side.
He does stop occasionally, esp if I put my finger up the glass, he'll follow it.
Thought maybe were he came from they used plastic bins and isn't used to his reflection (seems like almost when he turns reflection does so he tries to get out of the way lol).

Any thoughts?
Water:
PH 7.6
ammonia: tinged color, is from the water change I think, some ammonia in tap, bound with Prime.
Trite: 0
trate 10-20 (color is hard to tell).
I'm sure I'm very over cycled right now due to the fishless, its only 1 oscar in a 75g, not adding a ton of ammonia anymore.

Just anxious from the trip?
Do another change?

Edit:
As I write this he came up to top exactly were I feed him and waited, smart fish!

Forgot to add temp @ 78 degrees. Have a UV going with micro bubbles, Canister filter and spong with bubbler cranking so shouldn't be an oxygen issue. There are some semi dead spots so its not like he's in a rushing river all the time.

As all sounds OK with your water and treatments I would say it is just a case of waiting for him to settle in.
All the best to you both ;)

Thanks, I think that's all it is. My problem is I sit right next to the tank for 8-10hrs a day (WFH) so I see it all.

Whilst water changes are brilliant, and there are ways of doing low stress water changes, doing one now when he is adjusting to his new surroundings might spook him. Just keep an eye on the ammonia reading.

Sounds normal.

He's getting used to his new tank. Oscars are very active and curious. Do not be alarmed if he does this the length of his life.

Since this is a new tank, monitor your water. There isn't much else you can do besides give him a proper setup, food, and clean water. Sounds like you've got all those boxes checked.

Just a side note, Oscars will do better with floating pellets. It's more entertaining watching them feed as well imo.

Sounds normal.

He's getting used to his new tank. Oscars are very active and curious. Do not be alarmed if he does this the length of his life.

Since this is a new tank, monitor your water. There isn't much else you can do besides give him a proper setup, food, and clean water. Sounds like you've got all those boxes checked.

Just a side note, Oscars will do better with floating pellets. It's more entertaining watching them feed as well imo.

YES! floating pellets. I didn't realize what a pain in the arse it be to get the ones he didn't eat/spit out back out. I've ordered floating ones already.

Thanks for the feedback.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back