New here

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

A few people suggesting bigger water changes. Iā€™ll do one now. I was only doing 10% on advice from the store I got them from, but this is also the store that sold me plants covered in snail eggs. Thanks for all the replies.
Thatā€™s why we donā€™t trust fish store..

Just ordered some from Amazon. I wish I would have known this a month ago as I was by the coast for a week!

Tropica are a brilliant brand for snail-less and pesticide free plants. Brilliant quality.

Just done a 75% change. My babies were a bit like wtf?! Hopefully this will improve things for them. Once again many thanks for the replies on here.

Welcome. I joined today too and already enjoying myself pestering everyone lol

Definitely larger water changes and harder water for the Platy's.
Once you have the nitrates down you need to try around 30% water changes every week.

If you can upgrade at any time the water parameters are easier to keep on top of in a larger (properly stocked) tank :good:

Welcome. I joined today too and already enjoying myself pestering everyone lol

Definitely larger water changes and harder water for the Platy's.
Once you have the nitrates down you need to try around 30% water changes every week.

If you can upgrade at any time the water parameters are easier to keep on top of in a larger (properly stocked) tank :good:

i would love a larger tank and to have a few different species living together, but my home hasnā€™t space for anything larger unfortunately. Some of the tanks on this forum are stunning.

Donā€™t worry weā€™ve all been guilty of far far far far far bigger mistakes than youā€™ve made so far. Youā€™re fish are still alive as proof.

Rule 1: Dont believe anything anyone attempting to sell you fish or fish stuff says without checking it yourself. I still beat myself occasionally about this from 20+ years ago. Seriouslyfish.com and the general consensus on here will keep you and your fish right.

Just to sum up:
Youā€™re better off using the snails you hate to reduce algae than pour in unneccesary chemicals like ā€œAlgae Preventā€. A few shrimps also provide entertainment as well as cleaning the place up.
50% water changes weekly minimum would be the general opinion on here as mentioned above.
Your water is too soft for Platys. Crushed coral/Sea Shells May help as mentioned above.
A ratio of more females than males is reqd or a single sex tank.

If your tank is longer than 600mm then youā€™re ok in that dept.

Ive been considering getting Platys myself recently. Take a look on seriouslyfish.com for them. A search on here for them and any other fish/subject will bring up 20yrs or so of related questions, answers, ideas, suggestions etc. Itā€™s a very very quick way of building up a knowledge of your selected fish type(s).

Judging by your username I think youā€™ll like the look of Apistogramma Hongsloi on seriouslyfish.com. Theyā€™d suit your tank circumstances. But ask around and read up before jumping in too soon.
Have fun.

wow I love it!! Thanks for the tip. Iā€™ll do a bit of research.
Sorry I didnā€™t make it clear, I have left some of the snails in as I know they are of some benefit, thereā€™s just so many and they multiply by the minute seemingly!
Shrimps look so nice, LFS advised against them with platys but Iā€™ve seen for myself online that they can live in the same tank.
I have found a new LFS has opened last week so I had planned on checking it out sometime this week. I will see if they are any more helpful. 80187A40-07FA-4AFB-A5B2-F7C9F7209542.png

Most reactions

Back