New Here...need Guidance

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes, it is possible that he just likes to rest on the bottom.

Some fish do rest on the bottom when sleeping.

I would do another 5 days course of maracyn.
Get you some info.

http://www.tropicalfishmeds.com/Q&A/using_antibiotics.html

The Maracyn and Maracyn Two came in 8 dose packets. I intend on using up all the meds and then giving Cabot another 5 - 7 days in quarantine before placing him back in the large tank. It also says on the Maracyn instructions that no water change is required providing the water levels (ammonia, ph, etc) are in the normal range.

Thanks Wilder for the link. Unfortunately; the info on the tropicalfishmeds.com site is likely 100% correct when using their antibiotic formulation only. The Mardel and API line of fish medications is what is widely available in Canada and their instructions are different than those for the tropicalfishmeds.com website. This is likely due to differences in formulation and half life etc.

Hows he doing?

Hows he doing?

Cabot is doing great :) He just got his 8th and final dose of Maracyn and only has 3 doses left of the Maracyn 2. he is active all day but I still find hem sleeping peacefully on the substrate in the mornings. On thing though...when I checked up on him the past few nights at like 3am he is sleeping but is about an inch or two above the substrate...it is not until morning when he finally is found on the bottom resting.

I am going to have a small problem when he goes back home in about 10 days. His main tank 9with his buddies in it uses fluorescent lights in it and his hospital tank uses incandescent aquarium lights which produce a fair amount of heat and thus has slowly raised the water temperature from 68 (nice temperature for goldfish) to about 72 in the past week or so. I do not use a heater in the goldfish aquarium because we keep our home temperature at around 68 year round. So; what I plan to do is starting on Monday I will not turn on the Aquarium lights on the hospital tank and just use a clamp on light on the cabinet beside the hospital so the water temp will slowly drop to our room temperature.

I am also using ammolok in the hospital tank seeing that it was uncycled prior to cabot being housed there. I am also doing 50% water changes two or three times a week.

Thanks for the update.

As you say you do need to adjust him slowly back to the main tank temp.

Thanks for the update.

As you say you do need to adjust him slowly back to the main tank temp.

Just wanted to update you all. Cabot has fully recovered, is in great shape and was returned to his friends Finn and Elliot.... for only a few hours!!! When I returned Cabot to the tank he went psycho!!! The temp was the same in both tanks and the levels were almost identical. Cabot started attacking Finn and Elliot like I've never seen before...it was like he had rabies!!

Needless to say Cabot is now back in the 10 gallon and I am being forced to do 50% water changes twice a week or so to keep the nitrate levels below 10-15ppm... no big deal though. Ammonia levels are 0 and Nitrite levels are dropping (today they were 5ppm). As you can se it appears that the tank is likely almost cycled.

I wish to thank you all for your help and support. I am now in the process of getting stuff together for my 72 gallon bow front tank which will eventually house African Cichlids making this a Mbuna tank....I can't wait!!

Thanks for the update.
Glad he back to normal.

I had the same problem with goldfish. Just keep adding him back to the tank till he settles back down with his mates.
Once he knows you remove him when he's nipping he will get the message. LOL.
Match ph and temp.

Most reactions

Back