New Here...need Guidance

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Garlic on its own should not be fed to fish. It's a good appetite stimulant and antioxidant. The best way to feed it is to chop it finely and squash the pieces with the flat of a knife to make the juice come out. Then roll the food in the juice.

Garlic on its own should not be fed to fish. It's a good appetite stimulant and antioxidant. The best way to feed it is to chop it finely and squash the pieces with the flat of a knife to make the juice come out. Then roll the food in the juice.
Makes sense to me :p

Just turned on the lights in the tank and he seems to be somewhat better today....more energy. Maybe the peas last night were helpful. He still sits on the bottom of the tank but so far this morning he is only down there about 10% of the time so far; whereas, yesterday he was down there 80% or more of the time.

I think I will still get the 10 gallon setup today... if there is no further improvement by tomorrow at this time then I will transfer him over to the hospital tank. I will also only feed them tonight and will only feed them peas. then I will fast them for two days (just to be safe) Does this sound reasonable?

I will also go out today to get some maracyn plus just in case and some fresh garlic. Once everything is back to normal again I will start to feed more green veggies 2 or 3 times a week and only use freeze dried foods only twice a month or so. I will also fast all my fish two or three times a month for one day each (as was suggested earlier).

BTW I love the garlic idea!! Not only will it help the immune system of my fishes but it will also keep them safe from vampires!!

As promised; here are three videos. The first is the fish darting to the top and then releasing the bubbles from his mouth. Number two is about the same except you will see him rest on the bottom for a second or two. The third is what has been more typical in the past day or so.

It is weird because I have watched them for about 30 minutes so far and the sick fish has only rested on the bottom twice for a total of about 5 seconds (this is a far cry from yesterday). But now he is resting for longer it seems. He is going to the top for air often though which is still a concern. I will only feed them once today and it will again be peas. Then I will fast them till Sunday night.

Anyway here are the videos.

Video 1 - fish darting to the top for air.
Video 2 - Same as last one but you will see him rest for a second on the bottom and start to tip
Video 3 - This shows his more typical behavior I've seem in the past day or so.

Just a note:the white you see below the dorsal fin when it is resting on the bottom (3rd video) is NOT a fungus or anything...it is just a weird light reflection.

Hope this helps.

I see what you mean it looks like swim bladder problem.

Swim bladder can be caused by injury, birth defect, unstable diet, to many dried foods, constipation, bacterial infection of the swim bladder, internal parasites, unstable temp, bad water quality.

I would isolate him and use the med.

I see what you mean it looks like swim bladder problem.

Swim bladder can be caused by injury, birth defect, unstable diet, to many dried foods, constipation, bacterial infection of the swim bladder, internal parasites, unstable temp, bad water quality.

I would isolate him and use the med.
I have already set up a HT (10 gallon) and will transfer him later today I will be using some substrate from another tank to help with cycling. I intend on letting him fast for two days and then use peas as a food for a few days. The filter will be with out carbon Just bio and mech, I will have a air stone and a few plants.

Thank you for your help wilder...may I PM you for further advise on this matter?

I will repost here with video and info as this process continues. Thank you all again for your help.

Hi all; So I got my hospital tank set up and I used some gravel and a few rocks from another tank to help with cycling (I know the meds will likely wipe out the good bacteria anyway). I also put an artificial plat from his ("Cabot's") old tank into the new (something familiar).

I was unable to get Maracyn Plus (as Wilder had suggested) but I was able to get Maracyn Two instead. I will be letting Cabot fast for two days then et him eat peas once a day for 2 or 3 days after that. I was told not to cover the whole bottom of the tank with substrate (in a hospital tank) so I only covered half...it also makes cleaning easier.

I have attached a vid of Cabot in the hospital tank. Will keep you all updated as things unfold!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ius40wAxi0

Bless him. He's not happy is he being away from his mates.
He so cute but he's not right bless him.
Just hope the med will save him.

Get you some info on maracyn.

With not being able to get maracyn plus, I would rather have used both maracyn 1 and two, to cover all bacteria's, gram negative and gram positive.

Maracyn
Manufacturer: Mardel
A broad-spectrum antibiotic for gram-positive bacterial infections. For infections of columnaris (body fungus), fin and tail rot, popeye, gill disease, and secondary infections.
Active ingredient: Erythromycin.

Maracyn–Two
A broad-spectrum antibiotic for internal or external gram negative bacterial infections which can even be absorbed through the skin. Effective treatment of fin and tail rot, popeye, gill disease, dropsy (swollen body, protruding scales), septicemia (bleeding or red streaks on the body), secondary and internal infections. Effective even when fish won't eat.
Active ingredient: Mincycline hydrochlor.

Bless him. He's not happy is he being away from his mates.
He so cute but he's not right bless him.
Just hope the med will save him.

Get you some info on maracyn.

With not being able to get maracyn plus, I would rather have used both maracyn 1 and two, to cover all bacteria's, gram negative and gram positive.

Maracyn
A broad-spectrum antibiotic for gram-positive bacterial infections. For infections of columnaris (body fungus), fin and tail rot, popeye, gill disease, and secondary infections.
Active ingredient: Erythromycin.

Maracyn–Two
A broad-spectrum antibiotic for internal or external gram negative bacterial infections which can even be absorbed through the skin. Effective treatment of fin and tail rot, popeye, gill disease, dropsy (swollen body, protruding scales), septicemia (bleeding or red streaks on the body), secondary and internal infections. Effective even when fish won't eat.
Active ingredient: Mincycline hydrochlor.

I only got the maracyn (I did not see this post until agter I got back). I wil also get the Maracyn Two in a day or so. Should Cabot be fasting? I have not fed him in 24 hours now and I was planning on feeding him again tomorrow again (one pea).

I have some promising news!! I took a peek at Cabot around midnight tonight and; for the first time in 4 nights he is actually sleeping mid-tank as uposed to sleeping on the bottom of the tank. I hope this is the beginning of a successful recovery and a return to his buddies in a week too 10 days. I still intend on getting the Maracyn 2 tomorrow but I will likely just keep it on hand and only use it if he does not improve or keep it in the fishy medicine cabinet for future use.

I will keep you all in the loop.

Bless Him.

Don't cut the treatment to short. it can look like there on the mend only to go back down hill again.
Once the five days are up with the med, you might need to do a 2nd course just to make sure all the bacteria been killed off.

Bless Him.

Don't cut the treatment to short. it can look like there on the mend only to go back down hill again.
Once the five days are up with the med, you might need to do a 2nd course just to make sure all the bacteria been killed off.

.... Alas...this morning I found him sleeping on the substrate again I wll be starting him on Maracyn 2 today also. I intend on starting to feed him tomorrow again and alternate between peas, broccoli and goldfish crisps. I will also be soaking his crisps in water before feeding. I will also do the garlic juice thing once a week or so.

Might want to keep crisps to a minimum, personally, I'd pass on them for a few more days.. I don't think he is at all likely to starve.

I would keep feeding him daily as he will need the strength to get better.
Just don't over feed him, as I know goldfish are greedy. Keep giving him peas aswell.

Just an update. "Cabot" has been on the Maracyn for 5 days and the Maracyn Two for 3 days. I still find him sleeping on the bottom in the morning but during the day he has a ton of energy and he never sits on the bottom during he day at all now.

Is it possible that he simply likes the rest on the bottom at night?

In any case; I will keep him in the hospital tank until all the meds are gone (in about 5 days) and then keep him in for another 5 days (without the meds) just to be sure he is OK before re-introducing him to his two buddies again (Finn and Elliot).

Will keep you up to date.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back