New Here...need Guidance

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tantrix

Reaction score
This is my first post here.

Ok here is the scenario:

Rescued 3 standard Goldfish about 8 months ago who were not fed in weeks, were in a 10 gallon tank with no aeration and the HOB filter had quit...not to mention the water was green and the small tank was 25% empty (due to water evaporation).

They now live in a 30 gallon cycled tank with the following levels:

PH: 8.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40 - 50
Ammonia: 0
Temperature: 68
Filtration: 1 - aquaclear 150 AND 1 - aquaclear 20 (I have both in order to keep up with the large amount of waste that Goldfish produce)
Aeration: 1 powerhead with venturi (topfin 30 gallon)
I don't use any other additives to the water except for water conditioner (aquasafe). I do a 50% water change weekly and gravel is vacuumed twice a month.
Feeding is done twice a day and only enough to last a minute or 2 (I do not over feed).

So; one of the Goldfish has been on the bottom of the tank all day. He will sit there for a minute or two and then frantically dart to the top of the water (for air I suspect) and then he will settle back down to the bottom for a bit and then the cycle begins again. When I come come close to the tank he gets excited like he is going to be fed. This shows me that he still has plenty of energy. When he sits on the bottom sometimes he will roll to his side (but then he corrects himself). Ever since I rescued them this fish (at night) sleeps at like a 45 degree angle with his head pointing down.

The two other fish are totally fine.

Based on all this I have to assume that he is suffering from swim bladder disease...is this assumption likely to be correct? It is my intention too let them (all three Goldfish) fast for two days and then feed them peas for two days (apparently a cure of constipation and swim bladder disease).

Any guidance would be great.

78 is too hot for Goldfish. They are cold water fish. You need to slowly decrease the temp to around 68. This will also help increase the amount of oxygen in the tank. It may also help make your sick fish feel better. For bloat and constipation issues in my goldfish peas will usually do the trick. Make sure to de-shell the peas and soften them by boiling them or soaking in hot water.

Wilder and others should be along shortly and may provide you with more help. Good luck and hope your goldie gets better.

Ditto temperature reduction! I would even go as far as 59°F (15°C), so in other words, gradually turn the temperature down and then leave the heater off or on the minimum setting (usually 16°C/61°F).

In that case, my next recommendation would have been to let the fish fast. As a general rule, you should not be feeding them one day per week and you should feed peas at least once per week too. What sort of feed do you normally use? Frequency of feeding?

For 4 common goldfish you need at least a 40 to 50 gallon tank.
Good for you for taking the poor things on.

What test kit are you using?

Does the fish look bloated.
Are scales sticking out.
What do you normally feed the fish.
Any red streaking on body or fins, and red sores on the fish.
Does the fish look pale or darker in colour.
Is the fish acting listless and lethagic.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing.
What do the gills look like. Do they look pale with excess mucas, or red and inflamed.
What does it look like when the fish goes to the toilet.
Any white patches on the body, or white edging to scales.
Can the fish maintain balance in water.
Does the fish try to get off the substrate only to fall back down again.

In that case, my next recommendation would have been to let the fish fast. As a general rule, you should not be feeding them one day per week and you should feed peas at least once per week too. What sort of feed do you normally use? Frequency of feeding?

Feeding is done twice a day and only enough to last a minute or 2 (I do not over feed). I use Tetrafin goldfish crisps, and once or twice a week as a treat I feed them either brine shrimp, freeze dried baby shrimp or bloodworms. I also give them shelled peas maybe once a month (from a can...my family hates peas except for me).

For 4 common goldfish you need at least a 40 to 50 gallon tank. That's great but I only have 3 common goldfish (see original post)
Good for you for taking the poor things on. Thank you

What test kit are you using? API Liquid (with vials and drops)

Does the fish look bloated. No
Are scales sticking out. No. but a few scales are missing on all the fish (normal is assumed)
What do you normally feed the fish. See answer above
Any red streaking on body or fins, and red sores on the fish. No
Does the fish look pale or darker in colour. No
Is the fish acting listless and lethagic. He looks tired, but then again he really has to try hard to swim to the top.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing. If by flicking you mean twitching ...then no
What do the gills look like. Do they look pale with excess mucas, or red and inflamed. No they look normal
What does it look like when the fish goes to the toilet. The same color as the food they eat...sometimes it gets a bit long (about an inch and a half or so) before it breaks off
Any white patches on the body, or white edging to scales. No
Can the fish maintain balance in water. When he is swimming...yes. When he rests on the bottom not as well (see original post).
Does the fish try to get off the substrate only to fall back down again. On occasion, he just seems tired

One other kinda strange thing; every since he started with these symptoms, when he darts to to top (for air I assume) of the water the air he is gulping is released through his gills or mouth within a second or two (bubbles coming from his mouth). This does not happen with the other fish when they go to the top. I had assumed that because of the deplorable living conditions that I saved them from that there may have been some gill damage (due to very high ammonia levels) and this would explain why these goldfish would take regular thrips to the top of the water (once every 5 minutes or so just for a few seconds). They do not go to the top at night.

a few other points:

- I have two other tanks - a 25 gallon community and a 72 gallon bow front that I am planning on setting up early in the new year (for the goldfish).
- they sleep about 13 hours a day with the light off.

Will see if I can post a video later today.

Sounds like a bacterial infection.

If you can isolate that would be better.
If not add a bacterial med to the tank.

Improve the fish diet with frozen foods in the week, and peas.
Introduce some more green veg into there diet like, broc, spinach, sproats, green cabbage.

To many dried foods can cause constipation and swim bladder problems.

Also soak his food in garlic juice to boost the immune system.

Sounds like a bacterial infection.

If you can isolate that would be better. I have an unused 10 gallon that can be set up in a day or so.
If not add a bacterial med to the tank. Suggest a med that I can get from petsmart

Improve the fish diet with frozen foods in the week, and peas.
Introduce some more green veg into there diet like, broc, spinach, sproats, green cabbage. I can do that

To many dried foods can cause constipation and swim bladder problems. Can it not then be assumed that it is a swim bladder issue as I had originally surmised?

Also soak his food in garlic juice to boost the immune system. Never heard of it :) where do you get it (in Canada)?

If not add a bacterial med to the tank. Suggest a med that I can get from petsmart
If you can get it, eSHa 2000 works well for me.. but not sure it is available over there.

I would treat with maracyn plus, or tetracycline.
These meds are fine in isolation.
Don't use the tetracycline in main tank as it wipes the benefical bacteria out in the filter.

A grocery store should sell garlic.

Fresh garlic the best.
You just squeeze the juice out.

There also this.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Seachem_Garlic_Guard_Garlic_Additives_Supplements-Seachem-SC4811-FIADAG-vi.html

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back