New here. I had tropical fish back in the 50's & 60's Now retired in Yerington, nv

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
If you have any questions about fish keeping, you've come to the right place.

PS: be sure to vote in the present Tank of the Month contest. Click banner toward the top of the forums.

Another old timer wanting to revisit an old hobby . You might be surprised how many of us there are. Also , you might be surprised how much you remember. Go to the pet shop and buy your aquarium. Everything is right where you left it.

Well, hi and welcome to TFF... :hi:
And actually, welcome back to the hobby... 👍

Starting a new tank is one of my favorite things. I hope you create a fantastic tank and that you have the perfect place to keep it.

There is a board on this forum that talks about freshwater aquarium equipment. You might enjoy reading some of those threads if you’re wondering what people like about this filter or that substrate, etc…. Here is a link that will take you there. https://www.fishforums.net/forums/freshwater-equipment.315/

So what kind of fish are you thinking about getting? Schooling fishes or perhaps a large lone wet pet that will roll around in your hand and let you pet it? What size tank are you hoping to find? Are you going to keep freshwater plants or might you try a more rocky aquascape? What fun!

A lot can be unchanged. Most of the older style tech still works, and is just as shoddy as it used to be!

You'll see a little more knowledge about the nitrogen cycle - we used to handle it but didn't have the details on what we were doing. There's a bit of a 'test kit' goggles thing going now, but it's calming down. You have to be aware of chloramines in water, which were not an issue back then. If you pick up a 17th hand version of D=r Innes's old 'exotoc aquarium fishes'. most of it is still valid. Fish names have changed, both scientifically and sometimes commercially/marketing-wise.

There are more fish available in the general hobby overall, but fewer in the chain stores that are taking over. And the health of the fish now is a concern, more than it was.

if you were to visit me, you would see an air driven multi-tank set up, and in that, the tech could be 1960s. LED lights couldn't be, and are an energy saver.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back