New here and to fishkeeping

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CKP82

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Chris.
I'm new here and to fish keeping.
I currently have a 197 litre tank with 5 neon tetras, 5 guppies and 2 julii corys.
I'm looking forward to learning more about the hobby and here seems to be a great place to learn.

Welcome to this wonderful hobby and to this great forum. :hi:

You have a good sized tank at 197 liters (52 gallons). Assuming your tank is cycled and the fish you have are doing well, your first task is toincrease the numbers of the neon tetras and the cories. These are shoaling/schooling fish, and they need more in their respective groups. Aiming for 10=-12 each is minimum, you can have more here, but no fewer. We now know that with fewer numbers the fish are under stress, more aggressive, and thus prone to disease and other problems.

Another thought, going forward, is to ascertain the parameters of your source water. The GH (hardness), KH (Alkalinity) and pH for the tap water on its own. Your water supplier website should have this. Some fish are sensitive to these, others less, depending.

Hi and welcome to TFF... :hi:
Sufficient members to help you out with all your questions...

Welcome! There will probably be many questions, and none of them are dumb. Aquarium water chemistry is hard, fish illness/disease is hard, and they succumb fast. So never feel bad for asking about anything here, there are tons of fishkeepers with decades of experience to help guide you if needed.

My unsolicited advice, wait until your tank is fully cycled (lets say at least 6 weeks from set up)...before adding any more fish (maybe you're already there?, it wasn't mentioned in your intro). And DO RESEARCH before adding more fish types...so often people buy a juvenile fish thinking it's pretty without realizing it will grow to 1 - 2 ft long, or that it will attack or eat their other fish. So far, the mix you have sounds compatible. Also you mentioned 5 guppies, unless they are all males you'll probably have 50 soon (livebearers breed so easily) and then 50 will turn into 200, etc. - so watch out for that. If you need help identifying male / female, let us know...it's fairly easy. Also, I agree with the person who said to add more neons. They will be stressed in small numbers and your tank is big enough so it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm pretty much learning the hard way. I did research before buying my tank and was most of the way through the cycle before I read about nitrico goop. This was my downfall and after adding it and a few fish the tank relapsed and ammonia took over. I've lost 3 guppies and a Cory to date. I've started doing daily testing and water changes. I think I'm starting to win the battle now and the fish seem to be doing well.
I've got an all male group of guppies. I don't fancy going down the breeding route if I can help it.
I will definitely be getting a few more neons. The more I look at them, the more I like them. I just need to sort out the water first.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back