New here and need help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Lord_sixpac

Reaction score
hello all I just received a 35 gal tank and fish from a coworker they drain the tank and put the fish in a bucket i filled the tank added the fish now I gave a moldy smell any ideas and or fixes thanks

Welcome, Lord Sixpac. Wow, it's hard to say that with a straight face.

Tell us more. What kind of fish? If you don't know what it is, please post a pic and we can tell you. Do you have a filter? Rocks or sand on the bottom? Plants? How long was the tank empty?

20200924_183016.jpg
this is the tank 2 gold fish a pocostomis bad spelling im sure and another fish 35 gal temp about 76 78 degrees filter pump is a aqueon 50 3 live plants tank was empty about 8 hours
Welcome, Lord Sixpac. Wow, it's hard to say that with a straight face.

Tell us more. What kind of fish? If you don't know what it is, please post a pic and we can tell you. Do you have a filter? Rocks or sand on the bottom? Plants? How long was the tank empty?

Hmmm I would recommend giving you filter media a good rinse in some water from the aquarium mixed with alittle bit of fresh water then actually rinsing the filter itself in some water. You do not want to rinse the filter under hot or cold tap water because then it would kill all the beneficial bacteria in your filter. I would also say to take the decorations out and rinse those in hot water then maybe do a small water change and really clean the gravel with the siphon. But do not do the water change if you recently added the fish to the aquarium with new water, you would want to to cycle a little bit longer.

Hmmm I would recommend giving you filter media a good rinse in some water from the aquarium mixed with alittle bit of fresh water then actually rinsing the filter itself in some water. You do not want to rinse the filter under hot or cold tap water because then it would kill all the beneficial bacteria in your filter. I would also say to take the decorations out and rinse those in hot water then maybe do a small water change and really clean the gravel with the siphon. But do not do the water change if you recently added the fish to the aquarium with new water, you would want to to cycle a little bit longer.
I have cleaned the pump and replaced the filter due to being dirty I will try cleaning the decorations and the gravel some maybe a little water change next week?

I have cleaned the pump and replaced the filter due to being dirty I will try cleaning the decorations and the gravel some maybe a little water change next week?
Yeah maybe like 30% ? Fancy goldfish are usually really hardy fish so they should be able to handle it. If you still have a smell after the 30% water change, i would do a 50% water change a week after that.

Sounds like manky substrate. I would say rotting plants but looking at your picture it isn't that.
Also remember that goldfish are very messy eaters and poop a lot so make sure and keep on top of tank maintenance.

I hope you solve the issue. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back