New Here And I Have An Injured Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DogFish212463

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm Taylor, dog trainer, horse trainer, and (newbie) fish hobbyist. I need your help. I've recently had to isolate a Danio because she has lost her entire Caudal fin and part of her Anal fin. I purchased a small isolation box and have had her in it for 48 hours now, she is eating, but she keeps ramming the sides trying to get to the rest of the tank. From what research I have done, I am under the impression that her fins can grow back. Is this true? I don't want to keep her isolated any longer than she needs to be, but I want her to be healthy again (picture is her). I've had her since april. I got the tank and cycled it in march, my parameters are good except my nitrates are a little high. I've recently added some live plants to help combat that though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• nubby.jpg
    nubby.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 204
Welcome.

It's ramming the sides as it can see open water to swim in and they're active fish. If you can set one up, and as a newbie you may well lack the kit, a temporary tank is ideal, doesn't have to be complex, I often use a plastic box that doubles for holding spare kit when it's not in use.

Main question is how did this happen? Is this the result of an infection of some sort due to conditions in the tank or did a tank mate take a few bites out of it. It would be worth knowing more about the main tank and what's in it.

ouch..

are you treating with anything? i'd advise a general antibacterial, just incase there's anything that wants to infect the poor little thing

Just finished testing my water with the API Master Testing Kit:
pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20 ppm

I provide 8 hours of light per day in a 20g long tank with some live plants.

The stock:
2 Glofish Tetras (not sure what they're acutal species name is)
5 Glofish Danios (Zebra I think)
6 Emerald Eye Rasboras
1 Hillstream Loach

I have a good current in the tank, never had ich or any parasite, all other fish are fine. I suspect one of my male danios was snacking on my female. I've not been treating with anything, just taking care not to over feed. Also, I don't have the space or funds to set up a hospital tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back