New H.O.B Filter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Callisto405

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Tank is a 55g and has been cycled and running great for 6 months. How long do I run my old hob with my new H.O.B until it's colonized. I'm assuming around a month. Can I kick start it by adding some media directly on the filter? What say you!

You could directly switch all of the media from the old filter and into the new one. Or run side by side for 2 to 4 weeks. Or switch media half and half and leave for a week. I have done all of the above and never had any problems.

You could directly switch all of the media from the old filter and into the new one. Or run side by side for 2 to 4 weeks. Or switch media half and half and leave for a week. I have done all of the above and never had any problems.

My old one has traditional disposable inserts. My new one is a 3 stage filtration system. Fluval 70. Completely different

My old one has traditional disposable inserts. My new one is a 3 stage filtration system. Fluval 70. Completely different
Then I would run them side by side for 2 or more weeks. Rinse the old inserts out in the tank water after you set up the new one. Then any mulm or bacteria will be sucked into the new filter. Then put the inserts back into old filter so they can run together.

I just switched my hob to a canister. Just put the media from the hob into the canister, and, presto. Water parameters are same as before, if not a little better with the upgrade in filtration. I do have a small sponge filter that’s been in the tank for about a week, so maybe that’s helping out as well. I expected a slight cycle change, but for the worse, not the better like it actually was.

If you can't swap media, then run both filters for 2 months before removing the undesired one.

If you keep both filters running, you can use one for a quarantine tank. You can also put sponges in HOB filters so you don't need to replace the cartridges.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back