New Guinea Pigs

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

zophie

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,

Well, today I went and got two female guinea pigs, 2 months old, sisters. There names are Luna and Miika. I've done plenty of reserach and I had the cage all set up, and I was ready to go!

The only problem is, my piggies are SO skittish! They are both hiding in the hutches I gave them, and if I move around the substrate next to them they bolt! They will definitely not let me touch them.

They haven't eaten or drinkin anything, and it's been maybe four hours since we got them. In fact, they haven't even moved except to run away!

Is this normal? I read on google that they are often skittish, but I still don't know.... :look:

Well, any help would be fantastic on Luna and Miika!

-Z

New environment and such. It is going to take them a little while to get used to it. My cats were the same way when we moved. They hid and wouldnt eat, drink or go to the bathroom. After a couple of days they open up. If you give your guineas time, they will be okay. Don't be discouraged.

Leave them alone for a couple days. Just watch them from a distance.

One thing that I found works very well is to take all hides from them. If they have somewhere to hide that is exactly what they will do. Without them they will run to the other end of the cage and then realize there is no actual threat and calm down. I have done this for years. This is especially helpful in pet shops because without doing this people only ever see a blur and a hide, never guinea pigs.

Try different fruits and vegetables and figure out what they like the most. This is also very helpful to make sure they get their Vitamin C (red bell peppers are the best). When you feed them fruits and vegetables sit down next to the cage while they eat, they will learn you are not a threat. With time you can reach in to the cage closer and closer, even feed them their favorites from your hand. The more positive their interaction with you is, the more they will like you.

Thanks for the info!

I have been trying to leave them alone and all, but currently I'm a little worried... I've had them for 16 hours, but they haven't eaten, drunk, or moved! Well, ocassionly they'll start grooming themselves, and one of them, Luna (bigger and braver!) has moved to a different hutch. But Miika, the timid one, hasn't moved at all!

Good news today, though. Luna pooed and peed a whole LOT and so I think she may get hungry soon. I took a big piece of romaine lettuce and placed it in my hand, holding it out slowly to her. She didn't take it.
I left it right outside her hutch, but half an hour later, it was still there :sad:

Well, do you guys (and girls!) think that this is normal? I don't want them to starve or dehydrate!

Z

Thanks for the info!

I have been trying to leave them alone and all, but currently I'm a little worried... I've had them for 16 hours, but they haven't eaten, drunk, or moved! Well, ocassionly they'll start grooming themselves, and one of them, Luna (bigger and braver!) has moved to a different hutch. But Miika, the timid one, hasn't moved at all!

Good news today, though. Luna pooed and peed a whole LOT and so I think she may get hungry soon. I took a big piece of romaine lettuce and placed it in my hand, holding it out slowly to her. She didn't take it.
I left it right outside her hutch, but half an hour later, it was still there :sad:

Well, do you guys (and girls!) think that this is normal? I don't want them to starve or dehydrate!

Z

I think it is. I have seen animals go for a lot longer without. When they are hungry, I promise you they will eat. Unless they are sick, they will not starve themselves.

Most reactions

Back