New Gourami's

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Debo

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,
i just bought three beautiful Gouramis. 2 are dwarf orange ones and one is a gorgeous yellow. I put the larger one in my 60 gallon tank and the little guys are in the 15 gallon. Is it ok to put them together? I have never had them before and couldn't resist them when I saw them. I was also wondering if I could put a Pearl Gourami in with the Yellow one? I know the Yellow one is a semi-aggressive. It's doing very well in my tank. I also got 3 apple snails for the big tank and one for the small tank.. The shark is scared to death of the snails. It was a riot watching how afraid he was of them.
Deb

Hi Deb. I have a Red Tailed Shark named Jaws.....we are both so original :D Mine thinks he's a Clown Loach :blink:

I have Gold Gouramis (m/f pair). I originally had Dwarfs with regulars, and I actually watched the Dwarfs pick on the regulars (little buggers :p ) I think they should be fine together once they get a pecking order established. My Golds don't seem to be aggressive, but they are in an 80g with fish that are about the same size. I also have Opaline Gouramis (m/2-f) and the Male did not like me putting the Golds in, but after the first day or so, harmony reigned supreme :nod: What I'm getting at is the Pearl should be fine with the Gold......

Your shark sounds like a riot :lol: Aren't fishies fun :nod: :nod:

i think, though i'm no expert, that in a 60 gal they should have enough room. they can be a bit territiorial though, so just keep an eye on them. the two dwarfs in the 15, if i understood your post correctly, should be okay as long as you have enough plants and cover and what not so they can establish territory and if one does bully the other a bit at least he can have a place to hide. just keep and eye on them to see how theyre doing. read through some of the other gourami tips. i've read they can be senstive to noise and such and should be kept in low traffic areas. also that sometimes schooling and highly active fish can stress them out a little. you might want to do a little more research to validate all that though. :p

You can probably add four or five pearl's to a 60 and probably 3 or 4 more golds. That should mitigate the aggression.

Mamaschild said:
Hi Deb. I have a Red Tailed Shark named Jaws.....we are both so original :D Mine thinks he's a Clown Loach :blink:

I have Gold Gouramis (m/f pair). I originally had Dwarfs with regulars, and I actually watched the Dwarfs pick on the regulars (little buggers :p ) I think they should be fine together once they get a pecking order established. My Golds don't seem to be aggressive, but they are in an 80g with fish that are about the same size. I also have Opaline Gouramis (m/2-f) and the Male did not like me putting the Golds in, but after the first day or so, harmony reigned supreme :nod: What I'm getting at is the Pearl should be fine with the Gold......

Your shark sounds like a riot :lol: Aren't fishies fun :nod: :nod:
I have one Paradise Gourami, Three Blue Gouramis (1 male/2 female) and a Dwarf Orange Gourami in a 25 gallon tank with three Mollies (2f/1m). The Mollies actually beat up the Gouramis! But all the Gouramis get along wonderfully....Well...The Paradise Gourami gets picked on a lot...but he's ok.

Don't know much about gold gouramis but I do have dwarf gouramis and a pearl gourami. The pearl gourami is probably the most gentle of all gouramis and won't do well with agressive fish. In my tank, the dwarfs tend to be a bit more agressive than the pearl. But they are great fish.

Gourami behavior seems to vary widely with the individual fish. This seems to be the case with gouramis more than any other fish I've owned. :rolleyes:

When it comes to variety, some, such as the blue, gold, platinum and opaline, are recognized as being fairly agressive. But this is not always the case. Males can be agressive, but so can the females. Some gouramis, for example the moonlight gouramis, can actually be considered timid. Dwarf varities can be as assertive as the full sized ones. :nod:

I currently have a pair of 3 spots and 2 female pearls --all mature fish-- in my 20 gallon community tank. The male bullies the female blue but not the pearls. (Whenever he tries - it seems to me, they just laugh at him.) Once in a while one of them will chase the other, but nothing serious. As much as the male chases his mate, it doesn't seem to bother her. She swims into the bushes then comes out and it's as if nothing happened.

The main consideration for gouramis is to have plenty of tank space and plants to create "territories" and to serve as hiding places. Then just wait and see what happens. -_-

You know, I have always heard to be careful about sharks.............first of all, Sharky thought he was a clown loach. Now he's hanging with Sunny, the gold Gourami. He's still not too sure of the apple snails, although Sunny actually pushes them out of the way when they get on top of the bottom feeder pellets. Aren't fish AWESOME? My daughters {and co-workers} think i've stepped over the edge. I think they shoud all try it. Waht a great way to bring down the blood pressure after a stressful day at work!!!!!
Love them fishies!!
Deb :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

:D :D EXACTLY, Deb :D

That's the first thing I do when I get home.....check each tank for anything "wierd", then sit in front of my fav, the 80g, and watch my Clowns Frolick and My Angels swim majestically around :wub: :wub:

EVERYONE should keep fish!!! :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back