New Goldy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ltb11uk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just bought a fantail, it's got a black back with a golden body, looks awesome in the shop.
I've just put it into the tank, so far the tank isn't anything to call a home. The goldy is the only fish in the tank alongside 3 small plants and no ornaments yet. I'm slowly building the tank up, it's a 42 gallon tank. The goldy is only maybe 2.5cm big.
The fish has just come in, it swims around but then sits in the same spot for a minute or two, is this normal?

Yes its normal, its just adapting to its new tank.

The 3 plants are in the corner the fish keeps going behind them, is there any worry of it getting stuck behind them? The plants are long and thin.

if they are real plants i don't see your goldie getting stuck... but if they are fake it is the same story the fish will swim out when it wants to... don't worry too mutch cause the fish is stressed at the moment cause the tank is new to him/her after a few days the fish will stop hiding when it is used to the tank...

if they are real plants i don't see your goldie getting stuck... but if they are fake it is the same story the fish will swim out when it wants to... don't worry too mutch cause the fish is stressed at the moment cause the tank is new to him/her after a few days the fish will stop hiding when it is used to the tank...

There fake, is it still the same deal that they shouldn't get stuck?

You should think about getting him a little friend; goldies are quite sociable, and you've plenty of room in your tank.

Have you tested your water, just to check everything's ok?

Gold with black back is a common juvenile colour for goldies; he'll probably gradually lose the black and develop white markings; it's a fascinating process to watch. We used to catch fry out of my mum's pond in the spring and keep a few in a 20g for six months so we could watch them change :D

My goldies hid for ages when i got them.
But as soon as they got natural light they became has hyper as anything.
Give him/her time she/he will adapt, but as has been said, it will settle better with a friend or few :D
I have an 8 years old goldie, it needs a new home though its out grown its tank :D
its like 15inch and still growing :D

Luckily fantails won't get quite that big!

Sorry for late replys, Was looking for another fish. I'm hoping to get him 2 oranda friends on wednesday, then another fish if there is room. All small, and the idea is to have a line of plants along the back wall then have ornaments or wood in the middle :). My background is black so the green on the plants should be good :D. Water readings are all perfect :)

I'd just get one other fish, if I was you. Even fantails can get quite big, and you need to give them room to grow.

What filtration have you got? External canisters are best for goldies; they get very messy as they get bigger!

+1 on the filtration

My goldfish produced so much solid you could almost collect enough to put on the garden as fertiliser.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back