new giant danios

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

isu_guy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a black ghost knife who is trained that when the lights go out its feeding time. He will eat bloodworms (and other frozen foods) that I hold between my fingers just below the water surface.

I just purchased some giant danios. I like the way they are very active, especially during feedings.

Heres the problem though, when I turn off the lights and start to feed the BGK the other fish are grabbing some of the bloodworms that spread out and start to sink. This makes the danios go into feeding frenzie mode. In their frenzie they start nipping at the very end of the BGK's tail, which I'm sure in the dark resembles a fly, which is to my knowledge one of the things danios naturally eat.
(BGKs are a black fish that has a white stripe down the dorsal of most of their body, then have to white vertical stripes towards the end of their tail, leaving a small tip of a tail to be black. I also am told that danios are insectavores, if that is a real word.)

any ideas how I can make the danios play nice and not have a BGK that gets annoyed from nippers?

If you feed the black ghost something that sinks quicker and in complete darkness it won't need to come up to the surface so the danios won't harass it. Insectivores means they eat insects in the wild. However true this may be, they are omnivorous so their staple diet should consist of flake with plenty of vegetable matter as well as high-protein foods (which is what insects are) like blood worms.

isu_guy said:
any ideas how I can make the danios play nice and not have a BGK that gets annoyed from nippers?
The best advice I can give you is....

Seperate tanks.

you need live bloodworms and a large syringe without the needle.
i dont know if you can get live foods there but when i feed my BGK i use the syringe to get the food down in his cave.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back