New fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Platysrcool12345

Reaction score
Hi so I have a couple questions, I recently come home from a 10 day vacation yesterday morning (my stepdad was fish sitting) and I fed my fish and looked in the tank making sure they weā€™re all ok and didnā€™t notice anything unusual. This morning when I fed them there was a baby molly in the tank. I looked all over and havenā€™t seen a second yet.

So what most likely happened. Was the molly born when I was on vacation and the rest were eaten by the time I got home and I just didnā€™t see it yesterday?

Or is my molly in labor and that was the first one born?

I have attached a picture of my female molly she looks round still but is that just because she just gave birth or is she still pregnant?

And last question about the molly fry is where do I put it? I have a fry tank which is a 50 gallon but right now there is about 60 1.5 month old mollies and 15 1.5 month old platy. Would my newborn molly get eaten.

Sorry I know this was long but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 83
D
I would put the fry in that breeder box and let the mother molly out and allow her to just have her babies in the main tank. The breeder box will stress her out and she may abort her fry. But it can be used for the one fry you found.
Thanks, so she does still look pregnant?

They can give birth over hours or days, especially if stressed. This allows for a higher survival rate of the fry in the wild. Add lots of hiding places and scoop the fry out (preferably with a cup not a net, nets can damage the spine of the fry) when you find them. Feed the fry 3-5 times a day and add them to the main tank when they are large enough to not be eaten

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back