New forum idea—for kids?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.
People lie about their ages.
that's true, but there could be some incentive like a junior fishkeeper badge or something, or maybe exclusive access to starting threads on the kids forum? and direct messaging would also be turned off for those accounts. And I think overall, asking for age would make the forum a safer space, even if the kids forum didn't happen. I'm fine myself with the presence of kids on this forum, I only bring it up because I know there are some fishkeeping experts on here who are not experts at talking with children. People can get nasty on this forum sometimes, and I'd prefer if our younger fish enthusiasts were talked to with more patience than the adults who insist on fish-in cycling without knowing what ammonia is.

that's true, but there could be some incentive like a junior fishkeeper badge or something, or maybe exclusive access to starting threads on the kids forum? and direct messaging would also be turned off for those accounts. And I think overall, asking for age would make the forum a safer space, even if the kids forum didn't happen. I'm fine myself with the presence of kids on this forum, I only bring it up because I know there are some fishkeeping experts on here who are not experts at talking with children. People can get nasty on this forum sometimes, and I'd prefer if our younger fish enthusiasts were talked to with more patience than the adults who insist on fish-in cycling without knowing what ammonia is.
You make some valid points.

Some people just don’t want anyone online knowing their true age, which I completely understand. When I first joined TFF a few years ago, I put in my profile that I was 18, just because I had no idea what this forum was or what kind of people were on it. Now that have been a member for a while, I was comfortable with releasing me true age.

I think giving “kids” junior fish keeper badges is degrading them in a way that I would not want to be treated. Just my option though. ;)

I think giving “kids” junior fish keeper badges is degrading them in a way that I would not want to be treated. Just my option though. ;)
That’s because you are clearly capable and knowledgeable enough to cope in the adult forum setting.

I wonder how many members might have children (grandchildren) that are young enough to be motivated by such a ”prize”..?

Perhaps there might be a way of linking the memberships so the adult gets to see any posts/replies/messages to provide a) a safeguarding function and, b) supplementary support and advice/clarification on what has been said..?

This why there are issues with having under 13 year olds on forums like this...

COPPA doesn't allow it. It is a worldwide enforceable rule that all forum/discussion board owners and builders must abide by.

It is why when someone registers with a board like this are asked their date of birth (which can be hidden once registered if wished)......anyone using a DOB that shows they are under 13 will often be barred from joining automatically. Which is why so many lie about their age....trouble is that admins and mods who have worked these boards or built them (as I have in the past) get to know the telltale posting style of a child and those little red flags and gut feelings start happening

I don’t think it really matters if there is a section that is SPECIFIC ment for children. Maybe a section for beginners if there isn’t already.

Think a forum for seniors, like I am, makes more sense hahahaha.

We were born in a world without internet, no mobile phone (we had phones on a thread : no really !!!!), tanks with a metal frame.

Fogetting names, difficulty to buy things (online), being impatience, etc etc........

This was an idea that just occurred to me the other day, but maybe we could set up a new section of the forum for kids who need help with fish tanks? I noticed that a lot of the newcomers here seem to be <13, and since they can't buy their own stuff and might need more patience, it might be nice to have a forum dedicated just to kids and tweens. What are your guys's thoughts?
As everyone knows, that's the kind of thing I need :/

This forum has hurt me many times before... great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Back