New fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cool_jool

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:unsure: For those who have been tracking my recent woes - I have lost a green tipped barb and have a sword tail which is being bullied by my algae eater - a question. Now I have lost a fish would it help to buy a male swordtail? I have 5 pristillas, 3 neons, 2 green tipped barbs, 2 female swordtails (long story!) and the algae eater. Tank is 10 G. Any thoughts? cool_jool

Hi cool_jool...I haven't been following your previous posts, so this is off the top of my head, but getting a male won't stop the bullying, it will just fill the tank with sword babies :lol: :lol: . I think you might be a tad overstocked for a 10 gal as it is, but depending on what species of algae eater it is (you may have to remove it if it grows too large), extra filtration would be advisable to keep that many fish.
If it's just the algae eater that is the bully you will probably want to relocate it.....if it is a plec, does it have a cave to hide in, if not that could help.

sory im not shure i noticed it was a ten gallon my advice would have been misrepresentative puffer is right it might be time to find the alge eater a new home unless its a small one like an otto it will be more active and disturb the other fish. did you try the fish shop to see if they would take it back?

I had one agae eater called sucking loach but it's actually the Chinese Algae Eater 2 weeks ago and it's been bullying other tankmates (even if I have 2 swordtails, 2 platies, n 2 clown loaches)! So I have no choice but to give it back to the lfs (the lfs is actually the UK big pet chain store) and they r willing to take it back from me after understanding my situation.

:D Hi all. Thanks for the advice. The algae eater went back to the IFS this morning :sad: . They were excellent even offering to give me cash for it!! Not sure if I can mention the outlet though is that allowed? I have bought a little albino cory - very cute :wub: and some special food for it. I have also released the imprisoned swordtail. Once again thanks for all the advice - most helpful. cool_jool

thats very responcable of you the fish will thank you for that and i would say the tank will do allot better without such a large alge eater in. i think that there is one type of alge eater that might fit in that tank and not get agressive and thats a otto next time your in the lfs keep your eyes open for one or ask the shop keeper thats if you want an alge eater for your tank. perhaps wait for some more advice from the others here.

The algae eater went back to the IFS this morning . They were excellent even offering to give me cash for it!! Not sure if I can mention the outlet though is that allowed?

Glad to hear things worked out :D ...I think we all like to hear about the more reliable and helpful fish stores so giving them a little plug should be fine. Where we could get into trouble is if people start slamming stores by name.

I agree that Otos are great for clean up crews, but just one note, they are a shoaling fish and seem to do better in groups of 5 or more. I have 5 in a 35 gal tank and they never seem to stop moving...cute little gaffers :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back