New fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

itsnick

Reaction score
i bought 2 flase perculas and then my sister (suprised me) got me a yellow tang, which i didnt want because i thoughti might be putting to many fish in at a time. There where no fish in the tank before it had been running for about 1.5 months and all my water tests came back good at the LFS. i floated the fish for 3 hours (suggested at the fish store) and then i released them into the tank the tang seems to be doing great he swims in between the rocks and when you near the tank he hides. the "nemos" are kinda wierd i think they stay together like a pair never to far from each other and they kinda swim up and around they are active so it doesnt look like they are suffering ordie ing or anything but im not sure if my powerhead is creating a current to strong for them. or im thinking maybe they are stressed is there anything to make them relax ? a treat. i bought them at the store just as they came in from the warehouse and after they floated in there tnaks for about an hour. maybe they where in the bag to long ?

in the tank i also have like 10 blue leg crabs 1 with red legs and like 10 turbo snails and one bumblebee snail. for some reason some of my crabs are attacking my snails and eating them. im guessing i dont have enough algea not sure i leave my light on 8 hrs a day though.

im also making a post in the hardware forums about my new filter which i also need heelp with.

I'm not very experienced with Saltwater but I do know a couple of things. The false Percs sound typical. Every mated pair I've seen do that or something close to it though I don't know if yours are mated, and the Tang is just being shy. IMO acclimiating them to the salinity would've been better but they seem to be doing alright.

The crabs, I know nothing about though so I can't help there except to say maybe give them some algae.

how big is the tank? the clowns should be alright,but tangs can be hard to
keep,they require very good water conditions and are special feeders.
also, you should always acclimate your fish using the drip method(get
some thin plastic hosing,tie a knot to control drip flow,and have the fish
you will be adding in a bucket,drip rate around one every 2 seconds,for
about an hour and half)as for crabs,they do not need any extra algae,
they will feed off detrius on bottom.
hope this helps

Either take the crabs or the snails out of the tank.

If you've noticed, hermit crabs need other creature's shells, as they don't form their own. How do they get these shells? They kill and eat snails, even if the shell proves to be too large/small for them. Get rid of one or the other.

As for lighting, you may want to increase the amount of time to about 12 hours a day. This is best for mimicking normal conditions.

How big is your tank?

Most reactions

Back