New fish keeper over here

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishyLover1000

Reaction score
I got a Superfish Home 60 which has been running for a few months with healthy fish. I'm surprised it's working so well. Anyway i have some Gourami's in there. (4), a Cory catfish (used to be 5 but most of them died for no real reason that i can think off) Aswell as a algea-eater that i don't know what species he is. And 2 Rabbit snails to eat up whatever the fish don't. The tank's been doing great and i'm happy with it. I will try to take pictures but idk how to put these from my phone to my PC. Anyway that's basically it other then that i'm looking for a second space-efficient Aquarium. any suggestions?

Im guessing the one you have is 60 liters not gallons?

Sad news, i got a Nitrate spike (Above 40) and sadly one of the Gourami's passed away :(
15 gallons 60 liters is too small for all those fish.
15 is good size for nano fish. If one still wanted corydoras there are a few dwarf species that stay under an inch. Corydora pygmaeus and corydora habrosus. They are a shoaling fish so at least a group of 6.
If one wanted to stick with gourami one could get a pair of pygmy sparkling gourami that get about an inch or one dwarf gourami that get about 3 inches but not both.
As for algae eaters most plecos get too big for a 15 gallon so one could get snails like nerite snails that dont reproduce in freshwater and eat a ton of algae or one could get some dwarf sucker fish, Otocinclus. Otocinclus stay around an inch and eat a ton of algae they are also a species that shoals in a 15 gallon 3 ottos would be suitable.
Other option would be a small shoaling fish like chili rasbora that stay under an inch and need to be in groups of at least six.
I forgot to ask you about your water. If its hard disregard everything i just said as they are all soft water fish. Hardwater fish suitable for a 15 gallon/60liter would be guppies and endlers with some snails and shrimp and thats about it for hardwater fish in that size tank.

Last edited:
General rule of thumb is 1inch/ gallon of fish so in a 15 gallon 15 inch of fish. Now this rule isnt always applicable because it doesnt take into consideration shoaling groups nor tank length or height nor type of fish. For instance if one put two 7 inch fish in a 15 gallon theyd be cramped and miserable or one 15 inch fish isnt going to work so keep that in mind. Thats why i suggested nano species because the inch/ gallon rule generally applies:)

I have to agree with @utahfish you do not have many types of fish you can keep in a tank that size. I have ember tetra which are less than an inch and should be kept in a shoal of at lest 6 but only if you have soft water.

@utahfish , The cory is a Panda Cory, i got Dwarf gourami's (Honeys to be exact) I think the algea eater is an ancistrus, I do test the water but i don't mind hardness or PH at all, i mainly look at the ammonia and nitrite / nitrate., GH at arund 8'd, KH is on the higher side. Reading that paragraph you wrote kinda made me think about if i'm even giving the fish the proper care. (Minus the cory because i already know they don't live alone). What should i do?

@utahfish , The cory is a Panda Cory, i got Dwarf gourami's (Honeys to be exact) I think the algea eater is an ancistrus, I do test the water but i don't mind hardness or PH at all, i mainly look at the ammonia and nitrite / nitrate., GH at arund 8'd, KH is on the higher side. Reading that paragraph you wrote kinda made me think about if i'm even giving the fish the proper care. (Minus the cory because i already know they don't live alone). What should i do?
Panda coreys get around 2 to 3 inches a group of 6 would put you at 12-18 inches of fish. Your algae eater a bristlenose pleco gets about 6 inches and a 15 gallon is probably too small for it just alone. Honey gouramis get around 3 inches each so again thats about 12 inches of fish.

Id definitely rehome the bushynose pleco.
8 dgh is moderately soft so your good there.
The easist thing to do would be getting a larger tank like a 29 gallon and keeping the gouramis adding to the 1 corydora and even keeping the pleco.
Other than that one could rehome the cory and pleco and keep the 4 gourami which would give you about 12 inch of fish, could probably get away with adding a small shoal of small tetras like ember tetras a group of 6 or you could add 3 ottocinclus to the 4 gouramis.

Last edited:
I can't have a larger tank as we don't have a huge house (Infact slightly smaller then average) I could ask my uncle (He has big tanks, 150 litres and another which is 250 litres) I can ask him if he can take the Pleco aswell as the Cory but i doubt he has space for the Pleco. Ember tetras need more room because they are active swimmers, i'll consider the Otto's. thanks :)

I can't have a larger tank as we don't have a huge house (Infact slightly smaller then average) I could ask my uncle (He has big tanks, 150 litres and another which is 250 litres) I can ask him if he can take the Pleco aswell as the Cory but i doubt he has space for the Pleco. Ember tetras need more room because they are active swimmers, i'll consider the Otto's. thanks :)
Good luck :)

You could see if LFS would take panda corey, theyre a popular seller. They probably wont take the pleco but you could try. Bristlenose pleco are also popular

Bad news, my mom says that she's NOT going to buy me a larger tank, she argues that because someone said that on the internet doesn't mean it is true. :(

Bad news, my mom says that she's NOT going to buy me a larger tank, she argues that because someone said that on the internet doesn't mean it is true. :(
Lol, show her this thread or do lots of research and fact checking and write a paper to prove it to her. Maybe offer to pay for part of it of you can or work to earn the money?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back