New fish keeper need help.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Obsessed with fish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi I just bought a 15 gallon aquarium. I need the following questions answered:

Can I house 2 clownfish, 1 yellow clown goby and 2 hermit crabs in a real coral 15 gallon.

Should I get baby clownfish or fully grown clownfish.

Has anyone got any other good tankmates suggestions.

I have kept a fighting game fish for 3 years and so e guppies. I'm 100% sure I can get them and look after them. And I'm getting non wild ones catching them is illegal.
So you're not a new fishkeeper as the title says.

To my knowledge almost all Saltwaterfish are wild caught.

What is your experience really, this is no new bees project. You know what you are doing and are playing with us. Why would you do that??

I got a cheap 65L tank. It is larger than a 15 G and you could get a second hand one and just move the equipment over.

To my knowledge almost all Saltwaterfish are wild caught.
I don't know about the rest of the world but in the UK quite a few Clownfish, Gobies and a few others are captive breed.

Many others though are still wild caught. Also doesn't mean they shouldn't get the best care possible.

I would say you could possibly have a single clownfish in a 15G but you are very much on the lower limits and I don't think I would would want to keep a pair in less than 20G.

As I have mentioned before I don't consider Clownfish to be reefsafe so I would not keep them with any corals. Clownfish like to "host" things. This basically means they rub against whatever object they pick constantly. Often this will be whatever your largest coral is. Once that gets killed off they will move to the next largest.

Also for the budget you previous gave I'm afraid it's not really high enough to run a marine tank right now.

Quick rundown on some equipment:
$120-200 Decent lighting - Even for soft corals you need decent lighting.
$130 Live Rock - You will need at least 7KG of liverock. Prices may be different where you live but in the UK its currently about £15-17/KG
$80 Powerheads - You need ideally X30 water flow, however you also need redundancy and to make sure they is no dead spots so at least 2 small powerheads.

You then also need Salt, RO water, test kits, refractometer, etc. Your $90 budget unfortunately will not even cover these bits.

I don't know about the rest of the world but in the UK quite a few Clownfish, Gobies and a few others are captive breed.

Many others though are still wild caught. Also doesn't mean they shouldn't get the best care possible.

I would say you could possibly have a single clownfish in a 15G but you are very much on the lower limits and I don't think I would would want to keep a pair in less than 20G.

As I have mentioned before I don't consider Clownfish to be reefsafe so I would not keep them with any corals. Clownfish like to "host" things. This basically means they rub against whatever object they pick constantly. Often this will be whatever your largest coral is. Once that gets killed off they will move to the next largest.

Also for the budget you previous gave I'm afraid it's not really high enough to run a marine tank right now.

$130 Live Rock - You will need at least 7KG of liverock. Prices may be different where you live but in the UK its currently about £15-17/KG
$80 Powerheads - You need ideally X30 water flow, however you also need redundancy and to make sure they is no dead spots so at least 2 small powerheads.

You then also need Salt, RO water, test kits, refractometer, etc. Your $90 budget unfortunately will not even cover these bits.
Thanks for that info.
Aren't clownfish not social fish btw ?

Clownfish in the wild are social fish. Clownfish in a tank will absolutely kill any other Clownfish in their territory (unless its a mated pair or you have a massive tank).

In my experience you can get a pair of juveniles and they will generally pair up and develop together ok. You can also often get away with introducing a smaller juvenile with a larger established clown, as long as you have a resonable amount of space for them to get away from each other while they work out who is boss,.

If you have a bunch of juveniles and keep them together as they develop eventually you will get a pair that will harass and murder all of the rest (unless you have a very large tank).

In terms of keeping only 1. In my opinion I think they are fine, and sometimes better kept alone, especially in smaller tanks. Even mated pairs squabble sometimes and if you don't have the room for them to give each other space sometimes it can cause problems.

Clownfish seriously are some of the most aggressive fish I have kept, especially to their own species (and my arms any time i put them in the tank).

ok i will increase my budget, i live in Australia were its illegal to catch live fish because Australia's very strict about animals. I will increase my budget and only get 1.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back