New Fh Coming At Th End Of The Month

wow what a little cutey. keep us all informed of his/hers progress, maybe set up a journal for his growth etc :good:
Thank you :) glad you approve, hopefully one day he/she will be as nice as yours :) I will take and post regular pics of growth :good:

Do you have a rough idea of flowerhorn growth rate? I know there are many things to consider like tank size, diet and so on, just looking for a rough idea. I know oscars are around 1 inch growth per month. Are FH's along those lines?

I think mine is going to be a handful. It's already trying to attack my hand if i put it up to the tank lol

:lol: mine seems to be quite a gentle giant so far with no aggression towards the Gibbi and quite interactive with me. i may be lucky and have a nice friendly flowerhorn if thats possible :unsure:

most keepers feed them 3x per day with just small amounts using a high protein food source so with good water quality too the growth rate should be pretty good. if its in a comunity tank then depending on what else is in the tank depends on how much food the FH actually gets. according to the guy i got it from mine is about a year old or just under and has hit 10 inches ish. i cant be 100% accurate as its been shipped from Thailand but a rough estimate is about a year or just under :good:

Give him some hikari gold, that will bring his aggression out. :lol:

this is what hes currently eating... ive never had the issues with aggressive fish using Hikari products and ive used it for years. personaly i think its a bit of a myth and the fish seem to love it.

Thanks for the advice. He is in a 125 gal on his own. Might try him with something else now he is still small but haven't a clue what to put in. Like I said he is already aggressive, maybe it's just me he doesn't like lol

Never heard this about hikari gold before. Is it meant to be one of the ingredients?

Tell that to your GT... :lol:
my old GT was also fed on hikari gold before and after i had him and he was a wuss.....

my only cichlid that got aggressive was Keith my old oscar but he was fed allsorts including hikari gold. he only became aggressive once he was a lone fish but he would accept fish below 4 inches :blink: more a territorial thing rather than his diet i think.

Never heard this about hikari gold before. Is it meant to be one of the ingredients?

im not sure what people say it is but if it does make fish aggressive then i guess it must be an ingredient...... :unsure:

like i said ive fed all my fish using hikari products from small tetra to huge cichlids and never had a fish turn nasty from eating it. there are numerous reasons that fish can become aggresive, the main one being a territorial issue as the develop and grow into adult fish that need their own area.

hikari gold is very openly available and must be fed to 90% of cichlids sold so what do they all have in common? they mainly all eat the same food so it must be that....... :no:

how about people that keep large fish in smaller tanks and expect them to just get on? people who dont break the line of sight in a tank by using wood, plants or rocks etc? how about the people that mix a known aggressive fish with less aggressive fish?

many people do things they shouldnt but i bet most feed hikari gold which is too easy to blame in my eyes.

I've never had an issue with it so I agree with you on that one

I am going to do an experiment and stop using it for a while. Could well be the colour enhancing ingredients. Maybe they are like E numbers lol.

I am going to do an experiment and stop using it for a while. Could well be the colour enhancing ingredients. Maybe they are like E numbers lol.
most foods use colour enhancing products tbh. maybe set up an experiment topic about it then....

are your fish aggressive then?

It was on the advice of Star4 as she had the same issue and cut out the gold.
i would have thought that if it was the food then it would happen to every fish fed on it like kids with e numbers.....

tbh i dont believe it as it never had any influences on any of my fish but each to his own i guess... if it worked for them then maybe it did effect their fish but until it does mine im not convinced :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back