New Fh Coming At Th End Of The Month

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mattlee

get on a board and do yo thang...!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
i had to make a tough choice the other day involving my 2 motoro rays and i decided that i could not afford to get them the bigger tank they will soon need so they are being rehomed at the end of the month :sad:

this gives me an empty 5x2x2 so the need for another wet pet was needed :hey:

ive had big south and central american cichlids in the past so decided i wanted something that bit different and something that wouldnt need to be moved on when it gets too big...... it didnt take me long before i had decided on a flowerhorn :hyper: ive always wanted to keep one of these but knowing they are aggressive ive never had the set up for one, so this is my chance.

i also decided that if i was to get one then it had to be quite a special fish and after searching for many days on the net i found out that this fish wasnt going to be cheap :crazy: in the UK there are very few places that i could find that sells show quality flowerhorns and none were anywhere near to me as usual... a decent 6 inch fish was going to cost between £180-200+ and i didnt want to spend that much on a fish i had never seen :no: so i stumbled accross a guy thats less than 40 miles away thats selling a FH that he imported from Thailand about 7 months ago. after a trip to see it i had to have it and left a deposit on it. ill be picking it up at the end of the month as soon as my rays have been collected. after a bit of haggling i think i got a good deal on this 10 inch stunner :hey:

here is the gorgeous AAA super red kamalau flowerhorn that i will be bringing home in a few weeks :wub: :drool:
602623_3537230434015_663888905_n.jpg

cheers ;)

i know that the FH is a seriously aggressive fish, or can be, but im wanting to try and add a few smaller tank mates in with him. ive been told that african cichlids are a good choice due to their fiesty nature and toughness so would a group of jewel cichlids work?

if not how about a small group of convicts or similar?

I can't wait for pics. Is he going in Keith's old tank ?

Why do people like the 'bumps'?
To me they just look a bit unnatural, just sayin'.

TekFish :good:

Why do people like the 'bumps'?
To me they just look a bit unnatural, just sayin'.

TekFish :good:
I like weird looking animals.
the bump aka KOK appears on most male cichlids with some getting much more development than others. on other cichlids its reffered to as the nuchal hump rather than KOK. so it is quite a natural thing for male fish (cichlids)to develop the humpy head even angelfish develop it with age. with flowerhorns im still very much a beginner but from what ive read and researched the KOK is mainly down to the fishes hereditary background, some will develop huge ones and some quite small ones it all depends on what fish has been bred to create the individual flowerhorn. there are food products that claim to develop the KOK too but i would say its mainly down to genetics, although i have ordered some oceanfree xo humpyhead food from thailand :hey:

i remember the first time i saw them years ago and didnt see the attraction but with a huge KOK or not you cant deny that they are a stunning breed of fish, man made or not the colouration is pretty hard to beat in a freshwater fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back