New Dwarf Puffer Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

EGFishKeepers

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Just started a 29gal FW aquarium yesterday (plenty of hiding spaces)....We plan on cycling it correctly...My daughter is set on dwarf puffers....Currently planning 3-5 puffers and a couple of small plecs...

We realize the puffers will be aggressive...I've read that having several puffers may reduce aggression to each other....Any recommendations for the number of puffers we can keep?  Any other fish we can try realizing there may be casualties?  I was thinking maybe a couple of Mollies...

TIA

I don't think another mid swimmer would be your best option. You might be able to get away with a decent sized bottom feeder, like a bristlenose or some other type of reasonably sized plec. Maybe someone else can think of a workable top dweller. I would say you could have 5-6 puffers. Having more may actually be beneficial here as to spread the aggression, maybe sometime could confirm this?

First of all, it would be best to only get one male. Normally one would have a harem situation. In my tank, I have a mated pair who, I have been told, will not tolerate other tank mates, but this is a different situation. If you have only one male and four or five females, you should be covered for aggression without having any males fighting. Seriouslyfish reports that only otos may be safe with dwarf puffers as they are not a boisterous fish and tend to stay away from predators. If you've got a feeding snail on a wall next to an oto, one of the puffers may bite the oto instead, so you would have to be extra careful during feeding time, I think. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back