New discus tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

whacky

Fishaholic
Reaction score
As i said in my hello post i have an empty 4ft tank i think im gonna go for discus. Anyone have any tips for the setting up and running of a discus tank??

Im thinking sand for substrate, some bog wood, and some plants (not sure what type yet any suggestions) using ro water.

Some good information there. In all that ive read i havent seen much about lighting any ideas???

Wacky just remember to have your tank up and running for four to six months befor adding Discus. This is to allow the water to fully mature. How are you going to cycle the tank. The Fishless cycle is my recommendation as i cycled a Rio 300 in 11 days the have added 3 Gouramies, 20 Cardinal Tetras, 4 Clown Loaches and 14 Cory's (Mixture of Bronze and Sterbia). The tank has been up and running with no probs since may 4th with Discus beeing added in early september or thats the plan. As for plants go to Java or Greenline sites for info.

Im gonna be usin a colonised filter from another tank its been running for a few months now. Still gonna leave it at least four months before adding the discus though.

That beginners discus page is full of good information.

Whacky just make sure you dont go to any LFS before then or you might be like me and by some. Ah well they are nice though. :p

the thing i've found with discus is that thay need very stable water condition's and at there best if kept in very large planted tanks with large filter's that have a slow water turnover.
i would avoid RO water if possible and try peat instead as this will not strip the water as much and help to keep the ph stable, unless the water in your area is very hard i would'nt bother.
jigger

Whacky one point of info how deep is your tank and what is the water volume.

24" deep and about 60 gallons, some one mentioned not to use RO is this what you all think. As generally everyone else ive spoken to says to use RO

:thumbs: Good size of tank whacky. Use of RO water all depends on what you have at the moment Check out this page on Water Quality. The thing about using an RO unit is that it strips everything out and you have to use other chemicals to get it right. It's also very wasteful and slow to run. You may be able to just use a water filter instead. ;) Mac.

It realy depends on your supply water wether RO to use or not. Then its normal to cut the RO water with Tap water But as Mac has said you may still have to add the required Minerals.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back