PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Is my new Cory Cat sick? Its fins are beat up:
Pc.jpg

I just got them yesterday. Of course, they survived the trip from my LFS to my house, and the trip from wherever they come from, to my LFS. It could be stress? Help!

@Colin_T @Deanasue

They may have been damaged from being netted. Their barbs often get snagged in nets when they flare out their barbs in self defense. This can damage the skin on the barbs.

Watch in case it gets worse as you will need antibiotics (half dose).

I've had this happen, not as severely, from fish freshly netted from the petstore.

Keep the water super clean and monitor in case it gets worse.

it's fin rot, add some salt.

1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres (5 gallons). If there's no improvement after 48 hours, add a second heaped tablespoon so there's 2 heaped per 20 litres.

it's fin rot, add some salt.

1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres (5 gallons). If there's no improvement after 48 hours, add a second heaped tablespoon so there's 2 heaped per 20 litres.
Ok thanks. I have some aquarium salt. I also have Seachem Kanaplex and MetroPlex. Would these help?

They may have been damaged from being netted. Their barbs often get snagged in nets when they flare out their barbs in self defense. This can damage the skin on the barbs.

Watch in case it gets worse as you will need antibiotics (half dose).

I've had this happen, not as severely, from fish freshly netted from the petstore.

Keep the water super clean and monitor in case it gets worse.
I will do a big water change right after lunch. Should I add the salt before or after the water change?

Wipe the inside of the glass down.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

Do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate. Then add salt.

------------------
No, do not add kanaplex or metroplex. These are anti-biotics that should only be used on known bacterial infections that have not responded to normal treatments.

Your fish has a damaged tail from the transport to the shop. In a clean tank with some salt it should be fine.

Wipe the inside of the glass down.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

Do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate. Then add salt.

------------------
No, do not add kanaplex or metroplex. These are anti-biotics that should only be used on known bacterial infections that have not responded to normal treatments.

Your fish has a damaged tail from the transport to the shop. In a clean tank with some salt it should be fine.
Will do. Thank you. I will keep you updated.

Will the salt effect the snail, shrimp, or neon tetras?

Cories and neon tetras are sensitive to salt. I would do 1/2 tablespoon per every 5 gallons. I’m treating mine at that dose. Watch them closely. Remember to dissolve the salt before adding. If no improvement in a few days, then kick the salt up to the full tablespoon per 5G’s.

Cories and neon tetras are sensitive to salt. I would do 1/2 tablespoon per every 5 gallons. I’m treating mine at that dose. Watch them closely. Remember to dissolve the salt before adding. If no improvement in a few days, then kick the salt up to the full tablespoon per 5G’s.
By dissolve, do you mean mix it in the new tank water before adding it to the tank?

Ok, sounds good.

I just preformed a 40% water change and substrate vacuum. I also cleaned the filter and wiped down the inside of the glass.

I will add the salt very soon, and update again once I get through with that.

The others are worse than I though. All of them look like the one in post #1. I sure hope they get better. :(

Ok, the water change, substrate vacuum, glass clean, and filter clean are all done.

I am seeing them out in the open more and more. I haven't tried feeding them yet... should I?

I saw 3 that looked perfectly healthy. The others either look like the one in photo #1, or their dorsal fin is messed up. I'm sure they will be ok. :)

Should I continue with the salt and daily water changes/substrate vacuums until their condition improves?

Most reactions

Back