New clown seems lethargic

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Iā€™m feeding him flakes at the moment but looking into other things like mysis. Suggestions? Tank is a 10g. Tested for ammonia earlier and 0. Nitrate around 15ppm. Not home right now so donā€™t have a nitrite reading
Mysis is a very good food for clowns. Another great option is NLS (New Life Spectrum) Pellets, which is what I use.

When you do get home, test salinity as well.

Mysis is a very good food for clowns. Another great option is NLS (New Life Spectrum) Pellets, which is what I use.

When you do get home, test salinity as well.
Thanks for the help! One more thingā€”donya mentioned that itā€™s normal to hide somewhere but not normal for it to just be laying there. Mine is kinda laying there. Occasionally gets up, swims around a bit in his area, then goes back. Although while heā€™s laying down, his fins are still moving a bit. Just not his body. Is this normal??

I had live rock but found a bristleworm that I couldnā€™t be sure if it was a fireworm or not so I had a midlife crisis and took it outšŸ˜“
Contrary to popular belief, Bristleworms are actually a very important part of the CUC. (Clean up crew) As long as you donā€™t touch them, they can remain in the tank.

Some people donā€™t like the idea of them being in there, which is up to the aquarist, but I personally donā€™t mind.

Thanks for the help! One more thingā€”donya mentioned that itā€™s normal to hide somewhere but not normal for it to just be laying there. Mine is kinda laying there. Occasionally gets up, swims around a bit in his area, then goes back. Although while heā€™s laying down, his fins are still moving a bit. Just not his body. Is this normal??
Does he appear to be breathing heavily? I would try to turn the light off for a few hours and see if he becomes more active. He could be in shock from the light reflecting off the white decor.

Contrary to popular belief, Bristleworms are actually a very important part of the CUC. (Clean up crew) As long as you donā€™t touch them, they can remain in the tank.

Some people donā€™t like the idea of them being in there, which is up to the aquarist, but I personally donā€™t mind.
I know bristleworms can be helpful but I never got a good look at it and was scared it was a fireworm instead

Does he appear to be breathing heavily? I would try to turn the light off for a few hours and see if he becomes more active. He could be in shock from the light reflecting off the white decor.
He seemed to be breathing a bit heavily. I watched some videos of other clowns breathing heavily and he isnā€™t as fast as those. I just donā€™t know if Iā€™m overreacting or not

A tall tank isnt as good as a long because then they have less swim space. Especially for a species that likes the bottom, a longer tank is always better than a taller one. But this depends on how long this tank really is

He seemed to be breathing a bit heavily. I watched some videos of other clowns breathing heavily and he isnā€™t as fast as those. I just donā€™t know if Iā€™m overreacting or not
Most likely just overreacting. If heā€™s still acting like this in a few days, then I would be worried. But for now, I would just turn the light off for the rest of the day and see if his behavior changes.

Most likely just overreacting. If heā€™s still acting like this in a few days, then I would be worried. But for now, I would just turn the light off for the rest of the day and see if his behavior changes.
Iā€™ve had the lights off for a couple hours and he still seems to be laying like thisā€¦

Attachments

• DEFF4E6D-7C25-4424-97C2-EB0FD1C346A8.jpeg
    DEFF4E6D-7C25-4424-97C2-EB0FD1C346A8.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 67
It takes fish a while (sometimes a week) for fish to adjust to their sutroundings.

Heā€™s pretty much just laying there. Occasionally gets up, swims a bit in his area, then goes back
Can you post a video of the fish?
If you use a phone to film it, hold the phone horizontally so the image fills the entire screen. Take a 1 minute recording and upload it to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

Iā€™ve had the lights off for a couple hours and he still seems to be laying like thisā€¦
Okay this seriously does not seem normal. He was swimming around like crazy last night and still pretty active right now. This morning I woke up and heā€™s so much paler than yesterday! Iā€™m so worried about him! What could be happening?!

Attachments

• F4921C76-4316-4226-A4F5-D23E0A370EE6.jpeg
    F4921C76-4316-4226-A4F5-D23E0A370EE6.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 73
Okay this seriously does not seem normal. He was swimming around like crazy last night and still pretty active right now. This morning I woke up and heā€™s so much paler than yesterday! Iā€™m so worried about him! What could be happening?!
What is the temperature of the water? Sometimes clownfish will loose color because the temperature isnā€™t right.

Test again for ammonia, because that could be the cause.

But you said heā€™s still active?

What is the temperature of the water? Sometimes clownfish will loose color because the temperature isnā€™t right.

Test again for ammonia, because that could be the cause.

But you said heā€™s still active?
Temp is 78. Params are good. Came home today and heā€™s got his color back. Read some threads and it seems like a lot of fish lose some color when they sleep. Heā€™s still active! Yesterday he wasnā€™t doing much but today heā€™s all over the place

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back