New Cichlid Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

EGFishKeepers

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
We bought a 55gal tank (with fish) about a month ago...We kept the fish in tubs for 5 days before we put them in tank...5 of 7 fish have survived so far...We added a few more fish and the tank is now seriously over-stocked....We expect it thin out as the fish get larger...( several are growing at an astonishing rate)

Biggest issue at the moment is the tank hasn't seem to have cycled....We're doing weekly 30% water changes....Here are the numbers so far (first line is house water before addition to tank)

Date

Temp

pH

Ammonia

Nitrite

Nitrate

Comment

4/7/14

House - fresh

4/8/14

2 days after Water Change

4/6/14

30% Water Change

4/4/14

First Test - Tank Up 11 Days

4/13/14

Fish:

2 Oscars
2 Convicts
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Arrowana
1 Plec
1 Green Terror
1 Gourami (Unknown vintage)

Well aware (now) that the tank is seriously over-stocked and that may be driving the nitrate levels....Waiting for an ammonia/nitrite spike and not seeing it...need to bring down pH (best way?)

Fish appear to be thriving....

Thoughts? 
1 Loach

Your defenatly gonna have to get a way bigger tank. I mean the oscars and jack dempsy would be good but pushing it. Especially with an arrowana it self. So maybr grow them but savs up for a big tank

Understood....We should have started with the studying before adding fish....Live and learn...

Ok, to start im not attacking you ok this is best for the fish.

The 2 oscars should be in a 150 gallon tank for their needs, as they produce lots of waste, which turns into ammonia which is deadly to fish. 

The arrowana needs a minimum of a 300 gallon tank, they get huge and need the large space to turn around.

I dont really get your results, what is your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates? List them one after another please.

The pH i would leave, because it will just cause more stress to the fish that are left alive.

Your pleco is most likely a common pleco, growing to be 2ft and needing about a 300 gallon tank as well.  Also another poop machine.

If your two convicts are a mated pair, that is seriously bad, during mating they get extremely aggressive.

You should be doing about 50-75% water changes weekly with the amount of fish and types you have in that tank, but i would strongly suggest rehoming most of them.

What are you asking about the a loach?

The numbers for yesterdays test....

4/13/14
Temp 80
pH 8
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrate 5
Nitrate 80

I never say an ammonia spike and 5 is the highest Nitrite I have seen...

No questions about the loach....

Understand about the tank stocking issues....

Wow, that's high. I would do an immediate 80% WC. Are the fish not showing any struggle? If the test kit is correct, no fish are going to last long with that nitrite....

McCool said:
Wow, that's high. I would do an immediate 80% WC. Are the fish not showing any struggle? If the test kit is correct, no fish are going to last long with that nitrite....

Sorry "Nitrite" was 5....Fish are active and thriving....Eating well and growing like crazy....

EGFishKeepers said:

Sorry "Nitrite" was 5....Fish are active and thriving....Eating well and growing like crazy....
I figured that's what it was. What kind of test kit are you using? That just sounds awfully high for the fish to exhibit no symptoms.

Its sounds like all fish should be dead, nitrite and ammonia are supposed to be 0, i would rehome the ones i suggested ASAP, but as stated do about 80% water change or as much as you can get out, get rid of all the poop.

API test kit and did a major water change today....My daughter and I both did the readings and agreed with the colors returned...

Like I said the fish appear to be thriving....They are generally active and come to beg for food when I approach the tank...Feeding just a little bit 3 times a day...One of the oscars has pretty much doubled in size in 3 weeks and the other is close behind...The arrowana has gained almost an inch and the Jack Dempsey has grown too...When I first put the tank together they all nipped at each other a little bit...Minor fin damage has already just about grown back and they appear to be getting along....

I'll do another test tomorrow....

The thing with your tank is it's not just over stocked it's overstocked with fish to large for the tank. All those fish naturally grow very quickly, and will outgrow that tank quickly.

Just one oscar should be in a 75 gallon and can have maybe a few bottom feeders that's it.

2 oscars need a min. of a 150 gallon tank, due to their large size, bio load and need for territory.

The arrowana needs a 300 gallons for adulthood for their massive size.

The Pleco also needs a very large tank for their 2ft size and bio load.

I don't have any knowledge of the rest if your stocking though, but I would imagine its a little to small for the jack Dempsey as well.

What do you mean agreed with the colors?

The colors the water turned with each test....Just making sure I hadn't become color blind...

O so are the readings still ammonia .25 and nitrites 5?

I would strongly suggest looking into rehominh most of the fish, they really need.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back