new chew resistant plant

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TWynnB

Reaction score
I am looking for advice on which plant to put in the back right corner.
This is a tank with hard, alkaline water. The java fern, anubias, crypt and water sprite are doing very well. I just added a bunch of microsword and we'll see how they do.
I initially had a hornwort from online back there and hated it with the needles everywhere, and just not the look I wanted. Next was a moneywort from the local store, and I guess it's normal for the lower leaves to die off, then you replant, etc. I trimmed them and they're now floating in the water sprite tops.
Lastly is this red plant from the LFS which I guess is a ludwigia of some sort. The lower stem keeps dying and I keep replanting it which would be okay to wait til it became more established if I didn't just purchase moonlight gouramis in the past few days. They tug pretty hard at the plants to eat them, and they keep pulling them out. They've eaten some of my sprite which is fine since it's so huge.
I would like to get a plant that will be an alternative hiding (or playing) spot to the water sprite for when conflicts come up. I'd like it to be like the sprite in that it's moderate or fast growing - I'm fine trimming - and has a good root system so that the gouramis can't tear it up easily. I'm fine with them nibbling on it, but not destroy it so
185911348_172410468217910_5310810801146062717_n.jpg
easily if it's a fine leafed plant. I would also like it to contrast in appearance, so although wisteria might be good, it is very similar in appearance from ten foot away. Swords may be appealing (do they grow that fast?), some kind of grass looking item, a plant like I have now but hardier, etc.
Any suggestions?

as a follow up if anyone else is researching -

I purchased crypt retrospiralis, italian vallisneria, temple plant (Hygrophila Corymbosa var. N. Stricta), and a kleiner bar sword. THey're all lovely, so far. I also purchased a dwarf lily which doesn't have thick leaves but sure is lovely, and the gourami isn't touching it, so far.

thanks, itiwhetu. I do have a java fern already but didn't get another since I was trying to get faster growing plants.

Somewhere I found wisteria had the fine leaves, similar to water sprite? Looking at pictures of them, he'd love to chew on it.
I'm full in the aquarium, but if you say they're thick leaves I'll keep it in mind for future ideas.

Siamensis 53b is a leaved plant that is easy to grow and is harder for the fish to pull out.The leaves are elongated.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back