New Bronze/Albino Eggs & Fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jonny-5

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys not posted for a while, Been busy with work & family life.
Just wanted to share my new batch of Albino/Bronze eggs.
My 5 Albino/Bronze Female mix & 2 Bronze Males in a 30G are regular eggs layers, They have been in the tank for around 14 months now so are totally settled in.
I spot the eggs but i am never fast enough to save them from being eaten or other times totally cant be bothered.
So this time i scraped some eggs off the glass, Heater,Filter & Anubias & put them in a pot with a small airstone, So 2 days later some have hatched & are racing around. Just going to see what else hatches before clearing all the rubbish out of the pot.
The pot is having daily water changes, Will keep them in there just until they start feeding properly(a few days) then they have a whole 10G grow out tank with a sponge filter all to themselves😁

Attachments

• 20221108_201453.jpg
    20221108_201453.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 43
  • 20221108_201457.jpg
    20221108_201457.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 36
Congrats. What are you feeding them? The easiest and best food is infusoria that will naturally grow on surfaces, but to get a good growth of it add some dried hardwood leaves (oak, beech, popular, maple) that you can collect (in a safe area, no herbicides, pesticides, etc), or you can buy almond leaves from some fish stores and online. Once soaked, the leaves produce a lot of infusoria, and fry will develop faster with this food. My cory fry went from infusoria to Omega One shrimp pellets.

Thanks for the input, I normally leave them for at least a couple of days before feeding anyway but the BBS are on standby, I have fed them First Bites in the past but my food in the sealed tub seems to have developed some nasty mites/ flour bugs or something like, So thats gone in the bin. Ive got leaves floating in the pot for now......Not really for food, Just a bit of cover for them

Few days later follow up......
After approx 25 Bronze Fry were born, I have moved them into a bare bottom 10 Gallon with a established sponge filter & small air stone. They are still in water from the main tank & am doing 10% daily water changes with water from the main tank. They seem to be happy with the TetraMin Baby for now. I do have BBS here too but not fed any yet. This is day 3 of yolk sac being absorbed. The fry are active & they all appear to be eating well (Hence the reason, I dont want to change to BBS just yet)
No pics to post right now, Just glad i have got to this stage with them😁

Not great Pics but here is a few of them scoffing before my daily water change. Now 1 week old
20221114_184050.jpg

Attachments

• 20221114_184325.jpg
    20221114_184325.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20221114_184253.jpg
    20221114_184253.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 37
Another quick update on the Bronze fry. They are now 2 weeks old. Feeding between TetraMin Baby, Hikari First Bites, Mini Bloodwom & Ocean Nutrition BBS. 40% daily water changes & had 3 losses(out of 25).
The fry that have died seem to have been a lot smaller than the others so i guess a feeding issue rather than water quality issue. Im thrilled to be able to get to this stage 😁.

The photo is how they are today, Although only 1 wanted to be in the pic 😄

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221122-075848_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221122-075848_Gallery.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 35
......Another thing, The fry are in a bare bottom 10G with a sponge filter & small airstone. They can regularly be seen feeding off the sponge rather than sifting through the tank bottom.

......Another thing, The fry are in a bare bottom 10G with a sponge filter & small airstone. They can regularly be seen feeding off the sponge rather than sifting through the tank bottom.

Many suggest bare bottom tanks especially for fry, but the truth is that this is a serious risk for bacteria. A thin layer of sand would prevent this, and also allow the fry to begin to sift sand as they expect to do naturally.

I would forget any bloodworm foods. Some dried leaves would greatly benefit though, adding infusoria which does result in healthier and faster developing fry.

My plan was always to add some sand, But i wanted to see how the cleaning up was first.
Right now they are eating everything up within 1 hour & i overfeed them a lot, So i cant see any issues. I am still debating though if to take some sand from the main tank or put fresh sand in .....Then simply top up the main tank with new ?

Sand from the main tank would presumably carry the necessary bacteria to help here.

Yeh just wasnt sure which way to go about the sand. This is the first time ive had Cory fry live past 1 week/10 days.
Thanks Byron for your help

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back