New Breeding Project Ideas

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

hexy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am hopeful you could come up with a few ideas for a new fish for me to try breeding:

I have a 20-30 litre tank (need to check the size) and would like another project of something that I could house purely for the purpose of breeding. I would prefer something that is easy, yet is protective of the fry.

I am currently trying in mmy large planted tank with 5 apistogramma cacatuoides & 4 x german rams which I am hopeful one or the other will start to breed, however would like to try something also in my small tank.

ideas would be great please!?

Thanks
hexy

Dario dario or Badis badis. Stay small and a pair or two should be just fine in a 30 ltr. Or perhaps a pair of peacocks gudgeons. If you want to stick with sa dwarf cichlids a pair of Nanacara anomala would be a good choice. I may have spelled that wrong.

As mentioned, Badis badis would be a nice choice. Once considered a project including them in a 35l

Or maybe some tiny shelldwellers?

James.

Hi All,
5 apistogramma cacatuoides & 4 x german rams which I am hopeful one or the other will start to breed, however would like to try something also in my small tank.

Thanks
hexy

Just quick fyi i really cant see that working cacs and GBR also the GBR need temps of 28+ :good:

Hi All,
5 apistogramma cacatuoides & 4 x german rams which I am hopeful one or the other will start to breed, however would like to try something also in my small tank.

Thanks
hexy

Just quick fyi i really cant see that working cacs and GBR also the GBR need temps of 28+ :good:

It working it terms of them getting along.... but not for the breeding. What would you suggest Bigbruiser? I would love to have these both breed but do they need separate tanks? Would either work in the smaller tank? And what set up should I go for? The male cac is very big! (the rest are 4 females I think)

As mentioned, Badis badis would be a nice choice. Once considered a project including them in a 35l

Or maybe some tiny shelldwellers?

James.

Thanks for your comments. These both sound interesting, though I don't know how easily I would find these in my local fish shops - do they go by many other names?
Do you have more information on them, i.e. are they easy to breed? Are they protective / parental of the fry?

I found my cacs and gbr got on fine.... until she had the eggs then it all kicked off. The male cacs gave the gbrs and big beating and i had to separate them. As a community you can keep them together but IMO breeding they should be in separate tanks :good:

My cacs i breed them loads on a small 70L no problems at all

I found my cacs and gbr got on fine.... until she had the eggs then it all kicked off. The male cacs gave the gbrs and big beating and i had to separate them. As a community you can keep them together but IMO breeding they should be in separate tanks :good:

My cacs i breed them loads on a small 70L no problems at all

Would I be succesful with breeding cacs in my community tank if I move the Rams into another tank? The communty otherwise consists of 3 x platies / 15 cardinals / 3 ottos. Are these fish ok to keep wi the cacs? Tank is 190 litre, planted with plenty of cocunut caves and bogwood...

Doable yes, enjoyable i dont think(IMO) the whole point of breeding for me is to provide A1 care to parents so they lay, then for me to raise the fry and watch them grow. In a planted tank i feel this would lost and i doubt the fry will live long after the female lets them go solo

Doable yes, enjoyable i dont think(IMO) the whole point of breeding for me is to provide A1 care to parents so they lay, then for me to raise the fry and watch them grow. In a planted tank i feel this would lost and i doubt the fry will live long after the female lets them go solo

do you remove the parents then? What tank set up do you have? Would like to give it more go at breeding cacs.

No i left them in but the female will let them go at one point, here a Decent link http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/370323-apistogramma-cacatuoides-breeding-project/

Most reactions

trending

Back