New Blackmoor With Red Bum

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mrs H

Reaction score
I've had a blackmoor for about 2 weeks now and have noticed that it has a red bum (don't meant to be too decriptive but its the actual part where stuff comes out if you know what I mean!) and it does look like its getting bigger. Today I noticed that this same redness is on its front right nostral and appears to be increasing in size and ripping the nostral. Could this be a tumour of some sort? I can't seem to find anything about this anywhere.

Thanks

Hi Mrs H,

sorry I can't really help you, but this part of the forum tends to be pretty quiet. If you post in the emergencies section you might get more replies.

when you post there, add a bit more info though including:

tank size
occupants (any tankmates?)
test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH
how long the tank has been set up
what you feed
any other symptoms
(and anything else you can think of)

- generally the more info people have the more they can help

I agree with littlest we need more info on your situation to help decide what exactly the fish has, how to treat it and how to prevent it from happening again :nod: .
I can say for a start though that a red (particularly) swollen bum is a symptom of internal parasites/worms, but the redness affecting the fishes nostril area is more likely to be septicemia (and internal bacterial infection)- more info on your situation would be very helpful though :nod: .

Hi Mrs H,

sorry I can't really help you, but this part of the forum tends to be pretty quiet. If you post in the emergencies section you might get more replies.

when you post there, add a bit more info though including:

tank size
occupants (any tankmates?)
test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH
how long the tank has been set up
what you feed
any other symptoms
(and anything else you can think of)

- generally the more info people have the more they can help

Hiya,

Yeah sorry that would help wouldn't it. Here are some bits of info:

Tank size: Aprox 84 litres
Occupants: 4 fantails, 1 shubunkin all of which are the same size
Nitrate test: 20
Tank has been set up since June 07
Normally feed flakes and/or pellets and the occasion block of bloodworms. Since introduction of black moor, been feeding bloodworms every other day
Other symptoms: had white slime on dorsal fin, which has started to clear up with help of tamodine wipe. Fishes behaviour normal and no other behavioural signs of illness. Like I said this fish is very new. We spent about half an hour to an hour in the pet shop before buying it looking at it and inspecting it for any flaws or illness.
We did add some general tonic to the tank shortly after putting him in so that if he was poorly then it would help to not spread to the othe fish.

Any info about this is much appreciated.

Your tanks severely overstocked with 4 goldfish.
The first goldfish alone needs 20 gallons, then 10 gallons for every other one added.
So you need 40 to 50 gallon tank.
With goldfish being big waste producers you need a 80 gallon filter.

Poor diet need more frozen foods and veg in the goldfish diet.
Red anus can be internal parasites to dropsy.
Is the fish bloated.

Your tanks severely overstocked with 4 goldfish.
The first goldfish alone needs 20 gallons, then 10 gallons for every other one added.
So you need 40 to 50 gallon tank.
With goldfish being big waste producers you need a 80 gallon filter.

Poor diet need more frozen foods and veg in the goldfish diet.
Red anus can be internal parasites to dropsy.
Is the fish bloated.

The fish isn't bloated, as I said its behaviour is normal, it just looks red. There are no raised scales or anything else abnormal. All of the other fish are fine and are not ill at all.

We still need to know water stats as if there living in bad water quallity they will get ill.
What does it look like when the fish go to the toilet.

We still need to know water stats as if there living in bad water quallity they will get ill.
What does it look like when the fish go to the toilet.

As I said water stats are good and healthy for the tank size.

The poo is normal and the tank water is clean. Are black moors more sensitive than other goldfish? I've tried feeding fresh veg on many occasions but it never gets eaten and is just ignored, i've tried this since getting the fish and they all just never eat it.

If water quality is good can we take a look at your stats.
You cook frozen peas for a few minutes, let cool down, pop out of shell, mush between fiingers into small peices, and add to the tank.
If poo is a normal brown colour its not internal parasites then.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back