New Betta Staying At The Bottom Of The Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Meeresstille

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday I gave my grown-up son my 5 gallon tank and he got himself a Betta. I gave him a lot of my cycled filter media, so we wouldn't have to worry too much about cycling. He and his GF picked out a beautiful little boy betta, and I was there as they were setting up the tank.

The substrate was thoroughly washed and rinsed with dechlorinated water, They have a big mossball, a small anubia and some java fern, they have a tree stump decoration, and a heater set at 27 Celsius (80.6 F). The tank water was dechlorinated and warm before the Betta was released into the tank. The bag was left to float at the top, with water added to the bag to acclimate.

The store's pH is the same as my son's water (I think he said 6.4), they live 10 minutes drive away from the store. It is a respectable LFS, their tanks look healthy and well maintained. The tank water was tested last night and everything was fine, no ammonia or nitrite......not sure if my son tested for nitrate since it was 5 gallons of fresh water, I imagine it would not show any nitrate yet since there could not be that much waste that needed to be processed.

I just can't figure it out, why is the Betta not swimming happily in his nice tank? He swam a little when he was released into the tank but then stayed mainly in the corner at the bottom. Also, my son reported, he checked up on the Betta before going to bed and got a scare because the Betta was floating belly up at the top, but when my son opened the tank he turned himself around and swam away.

I've never noticed any of my Bettas behaving like this, so I am stumped as to how to help my son and his Betta. Is he only still getting accustomed to his new place or is something wrong? 

Did he seem healthy at the store? It may just have been in bad shape before they got it. Other than that I'm not sure, hopefully the more experienced betta members will comment soon!

He is most likely just not used to the place. Sometimes when you get one that has been in smaller tanks and release them into a fairly open setup, it scares them a little. New tank, new surroundings, little scared fishy. I say give him a little time and he should start to explore. 

Thank you both for your responses. Those were the exact thoughts I had as well. It is good to have it confirmed, and hopefully it only is that he's scared just now. 

belly up? then swam away, most likely something is wrong with the beta and isn't just scared. the stress of the move and harm it, but with the belly up situation i would think that it is more.
the overall look of the beta will determine if it is ok. bloating, ripped fins etc.

when ever i had a fish go belly up, then swim away died in a few days. so the new water and proper environment can fix it, but it might be something internal. but i can't say as i haven't seen the beta.
all the best though.

Yes, BerryAttack, that really scared me, that he was belly up. I did see the Betta yesterday when they got him. He looked fine, no raised scales, fins not torn...their house is 40 minutes drive from ours, so I don't know how he looks now.

This is the first fish my son ever had, so I'm hoping he just did not see right in the middle of the night, and the fish may only have made some sort of turn where my son wasn't sure what was up and what was down!!!!?? 

I will send them this Forum's site, maybe they want to sign up and post some pictures. They think they just have to ask me, but I only know the basic stuff, when something's wrong I need to ask for advice myself. 
huh.png

I messaged with my daughter in law and it seems the tank's temperature seems to sit at 25 Celsius (77 F) and that the Betta is now staying near the heater at the top of the tank. We are now in the process of getting him a stronger heater. Our house is a little warmer than theirs, so maybe this little heater can't keep up over there. 

Also, the Betta has been building a bubble nest, so hopefully that's a good sign!

Nesting is a good thing! 

Yes try to get one you can adjust, and set it for around 82. He will be much livlier at that as its more a natural temp. 

There seems to be something seriously wrong with him. This is the picture my son sent me:
It looks like he has an intestinal prolapse, it looks like a little ball hanging from his abdomen.

prolapse.jpg

Update:
They ended up bringing him back to the store. The sales person said it looks like he has internal parasites, he may get treatment for a few days and if it is not successful they will euthanize him.

So they were allowed to choose another Betta, and they chose this one which looks a lot like the first one. He seemed to have been behaving differently right from the start, and is making use of the whole tank.

I just hope he's not infected as well. I told my son to soak the Betta pellets in garlic juice. I've picked up a better heater for them today, so the tank will now be able to get heated properly.

new Stark.jpg

Unfortunately the transport and transitions don't do them any favours, and unless you're lucky the tiny accommodation and unheated water just makes it worse. Best of luck with your new addition :)

To be honest, the way this Betta was not moving and then only just hanging vertically in the plants, I don't think that he survived the night. :(
I too hope they have better luck with this one, thanks! :)

I hope this one goes better. Glad you got a better heater for them! Very pretty btw! :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back