New Betta Is An Escape Artist!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jenste

Resurrecting the Passion of Fishkeeping
Reaction score
From an earlier post today you will see that I recently adopted a betta from a friend...people tell me he is a Veil Tail (don't know if this is relevant!)

He was a sudden acquisition so I used a tank divider to section off about 3.5/4 gallons of my guppy tank (obviously they cannot be mixed!)
The divider goes from the bottom to over an inch above the water line and is flush with the side of the tank...

yet twice in the past hour I have caught him on the guppy side of the tank!!! He hasn't killed/hurt a guppy yet - seems mostly shocked about the appearance of more fish!

What should I do and HOW is he escaping?!?!

Hello,

Let me just start by saying I am new and am just setting up my first Betta tank. That being said, is it at all possible that he is jumping over the divider? I know you mentioned that the divider is over an inch above the water line, but I have heard that bettas are jumpers. I just don't know if they can jump that high. Like I said I am new to fish and Bettas so perhaps the more experienced members will have a better idea. But jumping is the only one I can think of.

Good Luck with him.

haha i had the same problem with my new boy last week...except I found him twice on the other side fighting my other male betta :angry: Your lucky its just guppys on the other side and he hasn't done damage yet

Bettas can slip through a very tiny space so check all up and down the divider for any spaces at all...also if the divider isnt siliconed in he may be pushing it with his head and sliding out(what mine was doing)

Just watch him for a while and see what he does,then you can fix it accordinly... chances are he will try again if hes already done it twice.

I've named my guy Houdini for obvious reasons...maybe you should to if you havent named him yet :D

Thanks...I have been trying to watch him do it but both times I happened to glance away at the wrong moment - I never heard a splash though!
crazy.gif

I don't know who was more shocked
Me - finding a betta on the wrong side of a large divider
The Guppies - Having a large blue thing in their territory
Houdini (my bettas earned name!) - Finding success in his escape and being surrounded by my female guppies and 1.5 cm juvies!

Well if you didn't hear a splash then I guess jumping is out :lol: I guess he is just finding a small opening somewhere and getting out that way. When you figure it out let me know, I am courious now.

Thanks...I have been trying to watch him do it but both times I happened to glance away at the wrong moment - I never heard a splash though!
crazy.gif

I don't know who was more shocked
Me - finding a betta on the wrong side of a large divider
The Guppies - Having a large blue thing in their territory
Houdini (my bettas earned name!) - Finding success in his escape and being surrounded by my female guppies and 1.5 cm juvies!

lol sounds like he waits untill you are not looking :) bettas are very clever fish. I think you will have alot of fun with him. He sounds like a brat just like my new guy :)

Is he your first betta??

HaHAHA I think we were typing our responses simultaneously! We already decided to name him Houdini because he has stumped us both!

The divider sides are not siliconed in but I have tried moving them with my fingers and don't think he would be able to exert the force needed to push it over...ugh!

Since I had not intended on being a betta mommy but found myself adopting him (it was either me or a trip down the porcelin express!
sad.gif
) I can't set up a third tank ATM

(my BF is tolerant of 3 tanks in a small apartment - not 4!)

The only choice I will have if he continues escaping is to put my guppy gry on the divided side (and hope they stay there!!!) and put Houdini in what was the fry tank...

yes he is my first betta

other than him I have african clawed frogs, african dwarf frogs, guppies, neon tetras, ruby zebras, and pepper corydoras.

And none of them have dont this to me!!

lol he def seems like he is going to keep me entertained

hmmmm how about at the bottom of the divider?? do you have it buried in the gravel a fair amount so hes not 'crawling' underneath it?

Some bettas are so laid back that there is a possibilty he could live with the guppies. If your into them breeding it might not work well because forsure he would eat the babies.

Guppies and Bettas together? Really? I have always heard the opposite.

And yes, the divider is buried into at least an inch of gravel that is topped with rocks! I like a fair about on gravel to anchor my plants in

I just saw his pictures. Very handsome guy :)

Your first betta? I hope this isn't the start of your betta bug. They are so very addictive with such little personalities...They LOVEEE attention and if you give them lots and spend time entertaining them they will just steal your heart away :) :) :)Enjoy!!!!

As for the guppy fry, I let the mother birth in the regular tank, then suck up all the fry I can...before they get eaten! Right now I have 31 fry under two weeks old in a tank off to the side...It was my intention to sell them at my local fish club in a couple months for about $1/each

but if Mr. Houdini decides that his section of the tank is not to his liking then I will have to put the fry in and hope they stay on their side of the divider and move him to their tank. There are no other choices at the moment!

I've had a betta with male guppies before in a 20 gallon tank... This is a super laid back betta though who doesn't get angry and flare up EVER... even when in plain view of another flareing male betta :) He just kinda shrugs it off and swims around normally watching the other go flare-crazy..

It all depends on the betta I guess. It is probably best for him to be alone but you never know...I think you said he was behaving when he snuck over??

How bigs the fry tank??? Bettas should be in at least 2 gallons to live semi-comfortbly... depending where you live and the temperature of your apt he may need a heater. If it gets too cold he wont eat and he will rest around alot and be not be any fun!!!

For the few minutes he was over before I noticed/caught him yes he was behaving. Mostly just looking around and poking at the new decorations and plants.

I have run out of ideas for right now...it is ten minutes until midnight lol and I am exhausted!

I have to hope he behaves himself for the next 7 hours or so...I guess this will be the test if he will stay in his room or if he will / will not get along with guppies!

Only one of my male guppies might be a problem...he is a midnight blue body with a silver face and red fins...very flashy! My other male has cheetah like black spots on a pale yellow body. I guess I will just have to see what the morning brings!

Well good luck to ya. I hope he behaves. If not then hes not making a very good first impression.

Is the filter by him? and getting upset by the current? Mabey that is why he is escaping because they tend to get upset with anything other than a small current

The filter is on the other side of the divider and it is a Whisper filter - very gentle current

The fry tank is about 3 gallons. it is 10"length x 9"width x 8"height.

I have no heater in it ATM but the thermometer has never showed a temperature below 76* and the fry seem to thrive

The fry tank is about 3 gallons. it is 10"length x 9"width x 8"height.

I have no heater in it ATM but the thermometer has never showed a temperature below 76* and the fry seem to thrive

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back