NEW BETTA INACTIVE FOR 2 DAYS (PLEASE HELP A NEWBIE IN BETTA CARE)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

sanchay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have bought this betta yesterday from the shop which i usually go...in the shop...this betta was active and responded when i put my finger in the water and looked healthy....after i bought him home and put him in my 70L tank...well planted with a lot of hiding spots....the betta seemed to stay in the top corner behind the filter at the back of the tank (the force is not too much....i have reduced it to the minimum...even tried turning it off...no change) or come to the front of the tank...but stay in the top and not moving....and really lethargic

Image20210730183606.png

he is very inactive and is staying in the top....i did not try to feed him yesterday...but did not eat any pellets today...did not eat any peas today

the tank is a well cycled one with a pair of female rainbowfish (really calm....no frantic swimming...no aggression) and a shubunkin gold fish (the most friendliest fish i have ever seen)...the ammonia and nitrates are well under control inspite the presence of the KOI...tank temp is aorund 24c

just to be sure...i isolated the rainbowfish and koi to another smaller tank just to be sure that those fishes aren't the one scaring him

hes currently all alone in the 70l tank which is well planted

this betta is not bullied by any of the other 2....

is this normal?

UPDATE::

HE DIED YESTERDAY

Last edited:
Hello, when you say ammonia and nitrates are under control, what are the actual readings? What about your NitrItes..?
I also think that 24 degrees is a little cool for Betta..? I think they like 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Hello, when you say ammonia and nitrates are under control, what are the actual readings? What about your NitrItes..?
I also think that 24 degrees is a little cool for Betta..? I think they like 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit.
Hi there...i live in a tropical country and hence i don't have a heater or something like that....the current room temperature is around 26c....so i assume the water's temp to be slightly lower...

76 Fahrenheit is around 24c

yes the nitrites are 0ppm
ammonia is 0 ppm
nitrate is 20ppm
pH is 7.2
TDS is 110

i have java ferns, amazon sword, money plant and one more plant (forgot name)

Hi there...i live in a tropical country and hence i don't have a heater or something like that....the current room temperature is around 26c....so i assume the water's temp to be slightly lower...

76 Fahrenheit is around 24c

yes the nitrites are 0ppm
ammonia is 0 ppm
nitrate is 20ppm
pH is 7.2
TDS is 110

i have java ferns, amazon sword, money plant and one more plant (forgot name)
Iā€™ve just had a quick Google (Iā€™m quite new myself) and it suggested up to 26.5 degrees c. It also made reference to the room temperature not being the same as water temperature but Iā€™m not sure how that will work out.

I was also going to add, that in my opinion, Bettaā€˜s are solitary fish and should be kept alone. But this always causes lots of debate. Iā€™m not at all experienced enough with fish species to give any firm guidance on the original list of fish, other than goldfish are normally cold water and for that reason it seemed an odd mix (sorry I donā€™t mean to be rude).

I hope someone with more experience will be along very soon with other advice.

Iā€™ve just had a quick Google (Iā€™m quite new myself) and it suggested up to 26.5 degrees c. It also made reference to the room temperature not being the same as water temperature but Iā€™m not sure how that will work out.

I was also going to add, that in my opinion, Bettaā€˜s are solitary fish and should be kept alone. But this always causes lots of debate. Iā€™m not at all experienced enough with fish species to give any firm guidance on the original list of fish, other than goldfish are normally cold water and for that reason it seemed an odd mix (sorry I donā€™t mean to be rude).

I hope someone with more experience will be along very soon with other advice.
ok thanks...

the person owning the shop seems to be a vet himself(he told bettas are compatible with the shubunkins and the rainbows)...i tried calling him up...was not able to reach him

neither was the betta aggressive not the others were aggressive....

my little shubunkin tried going near the betta but my betta just ignored him(not in an aggressive or nipping way....the shubunkin does not nip...but got nipped terribly by danios in the past..i dont have danios now)...maybe he tried to be friends or something....coz any newfish i put in the tank the shubunkin will go and stay with the new fish for a while...observing them maybe?

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have a thermometer to check the tank temp? The tank temp will be the same as the room temp, with no heater, after the tank has been set up for some time.

In my experience, Bettas don't do so well with other fish. He might just be a bit shocked at the transition and may recover in a couple days. I would just do regular water changes and clean the substrate and the filters out. Have you tried different types of food? Some bettas can be picky about food and if you give something higher quality or live they do better.

ok thanks...

the person owning the shop seems to be a vet himself(he told bettas are compatible with the shubunkins and the rainbows)...i tried calling him up...was not able to reach him

neither was the betta aggressive not the others were aggressive....

my little shubunkin tried going near the betta but my betta just ignored him(not in an aggressive or nipping way....the shubunkin does not nip...but got nipped terribly by danios in the past..i dont have danios now)...maybe he tried to be friends or something....coz any newfish i put in the tank the shubunkin will go and stay with the new fish for a while...observing them maybe?
You must remember that our fish behavior can change during the nighttime, when we are not watching our tanks...after lights-out, there's no way to know what behavior is occurring

tank temp is aorund 24c
Your heating is to low, i always had my betta tanks on 27c

At extremely low temperatures your betta may even slip into a coma. At this point, youā€™d have to act extremely fast to save them. This happens because your bettaā€™s body functions become so slow, heā€™s no longer getting enough oxygen to his brain to function. Itā€™s important that you donā€™t mistake being in a coma for being dead.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back