new betta, hiding behind filter, tips sideways

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bob1234

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a male betta two days ago, and am keeping him in my 5 gallon tank. He hasn't eaten yet and really only hides in the corner behind the filter, except when the lights are off, then he swims around the top and returns to the corner.
the first day i had him, he swam around normally, exploring and all that. Yesterday he started just hidng in the corner at the top of the water.
The filter flow is VERY gentle, and the water levels are:
ammonia : 0 ppm
nitrites: 0 ppm
nitrates: ~20 ppm
pH: 7.6
temp: ~77 (F)
I have two decorations for him and one live plant.
Whenever he comes out of the corner, he sill swim around the top but when he stops, he starts tipping sideways and stays that way for a minute, then adjusts and returns upright. His attempts to right himself seem very desperate though. He hasn't really swam near the bottom since the frst day, when he was exploring the decor and plants.
Any help would be very much appreciated, I really want him to be ok :(

Do you have floating plants. A photo of the tank will help also, it gives us an idea of other things that could be going on.

Do you have an an air pump that pumps air into an air stone in the tank? The air stone should be near the bottom of the tank.

Couple of things....did you fully cycle the aquarium before adding him, if so how long did you leave the aquarium to cycle?

New fish will often take time to get used to new accommodation and routine....think of it as when your first ever day at school....how intimidating and scary it was and how long it took you to find your way around and feel settled...its the same with fish and all animals when they arrive in a new home, takes a while to find themselves, feel secure and safe.

...And a repeat for more plants.
Many fish, including Betta, are hard-wired to be wary of predation from above.
Too many of our aquariums are wide open glass boxes, which makes it easier for us to see what's in the tank, but does not take into account the need for security that fish have.
Plants provide this and, if your green fingers are toxic, at least you can add floating plants.

Fighting fish have weak eyes, they gate light. If you can turn down your light then do so. If you can't then look into getting a weaker light. My light was also to strong, and I bought duckweed for shade. I would get floating plants because this worked great for me.

It could be a flow issue as well, turn down the filter flow or turn it off for a bit just to see if this has an effect on the betta, they really struggle with any flow, a photo of the tank and fish will help too.
I see you have mentioned the flow is gentle but his behaviour is saying otherwise with the struggling to right himself and staying above the filter.

It could be a flow issue as well, turn down the filter flow or turn it off for a bit just to see if this has an effect on the betta, they really struggle with any flow, a photo of the tank and fish will help too.
I see you have mentioned the flow is gentle but his behaviour is saying otherwise with the struggling to right himself and staying above the filter.
Hi, I bought a male betta two days ago, and am keeping him in my 5 gallon tank. He hasn't eaten yet and really only hides in the corner behind the filter, except when the lights are off, then he swims around the top and returns to the corner.
the first day i had him, he swam around normally, exploring and all that. Yesterday he started just hidng in the corner at the top of the water.
The filter flow is VERY gentle, and the water levels are:
ammonia : 0 ppm
nitrites: 0 ppm
nitrates: ~20 ppm
pH: 7.6
temp: ~77 (F)
I have two decorations for him and one live plant.
Whenever he comes out of the corner, he sill swim around the top but when he stops, he starts tipping sideways and stays that way for a minute, then adjusts and returns upright. His attempts to right himself seem very desperate though. He hasn't really swam near the bottom since the frst day, when he was exploring the decor and plants.
Any help would be very much appreciated, I really want him to be ok :(
Yeah, sounds like the water current in the tank is too much + stress of new environment.
Usually the place with least current is behind the filter and it's good place to hide.

Some of my new fish hides for 2-3 days, some get used after a couple of hrs. So could be that too

I discovered the betta in an inclined or uneven swimming pool. At first, I thought it was normal because of the quirky and weird personalities that Bettas have. But after observing, I thought it was a symptom of a prolapsed bladder. The main causes are constipation, temperature, or overeating. Also, bettas can get bacterial infections.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back