New Betta Fish Mom

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Ich is a protozoan parasite with three stages to its lifecycle.
Stage 1 is on the fish where we see it as the white spot. In this stage it eats the fish's tissues. When it's eaten enough it falls of and the spot disappears.
Stage 2 is where it sits on the bottom of the tank in a sort of cyst and multiplies.
Stage 3 is where the cyst opens and hundreds of new parasites go swimming off looking for a fish to infect.

The parasite can only be killed in stage 3, whether by heat or medication, as the coating protects it in stages 1 and 2. This is why the temperature is kept at the higher level for 2 weeks, and why medication says to add on certain days even after the spots have gone. If even one cyst hasn't opened when the temp is lowered or the medication is stopped, the fish will be reinfected.

Stage 1 is on the fish where we see it as the white spot. In this stage it eats the fish's tissues. When it's eaten enough it falls of and the spot disappears.
Stage 2 is where it sits on the bottom of the tank in a sort of cyst and multiplies.
Stage 3 is where the cyst opens and hundreds of new parasites go swimming off looking for a fish to infect.

The parasite can only be killed in stage 3, whether by heat or medication, as the coating protects it in stages 1 and 2. This is why the temperature is kept at the higher level for 2 weeks, and why medication says to add on certain days even after the spots have

The parasite can only be killed in stage 3, whether by heat or medication, as the coating protects it in stages 1 and 2. This is why the temperature is kept at the higher level for 2 weeks, and why medication says to add on certain days even after the spots have gone. If even one cyst hasn't opened when the temp is lowered or the medication is stopped, the fish will be reinfected.

WOW! I have really appreciated all of the advice. The valuable information you and some others have given me has really helped. I really had no idea of just how complex having an aquarium can be. It is a little intimidating. Maybe I should get a puppy in stead. Lol!! Just kidding. I'm still going to get my little Betta and snail. And now I can rest assured that I will have a happy and healthy fish and snail.

I'm still learning how to navigate this site. I really do appreciate all of the valuable advice and information. I'm confident that I'll be a good Betta and snail mom.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back